Suggest a hedge for pathway edging

manolo, May 27, 11:51pm
Hi we have a 1950s house with a front garden which is shaded by 2 pohutakawa trees. We have a concrete pathway that leads to the front door. I'm looking at edging that pathway with either buxus or lavender to make it look nicer. I'm after the english cottage garden look which I think will go well with the house. My preference is lavender but the area doesn't get too much sun because of the trees and being West Auckland the soil is clay so holds a lot of moisture. When should I look to grow the lavender , am I better off just going for buxus?

bugalugs, May 28, 8:23am
You could try liriope. Very hardy, handles wet feet and low light, planted in rows makes a nice low hedge effect, and has flowers of a similar shade and shape as lavender. Is more of a strappy leaf though, which might not be what you're after.
See: https://goingtoseedinzone5.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/liriope.jpg

kateley, May 28, 10:22pm
I've had a little hedge of perennial candytuft. It clips well and as a bonus has pretty white flowers.

macandrosie, May 29, 1:02am
Lonicera is a great hedging plant & quick grower. Responds to clipping & shaping.

samanya, May 29, 3:03am
I'm wondering if Parahebes could be trimmed into a small hedge?
I have a few & think they would respond to regular clipping . maybe someone more knowledgeable could tell us.

mkbooks, May 29, 4:10am
Lavender could be OK-why not ask the local nursery for advice? or go for a walk around your neighbourhood. D_i_law has lavender growing in a box by her front door-gets virtually NO sun, but is doing OK

samanya, May 29, 4:22am
I have a small lavender hedge on the south east side of my house & it gets early morning & late afternoon sun, in the summer, nothing much atm & it's not prolific flowerer, but grows well.
An aside . have just planted a 100 plant lavender hedge today & the back needs medication. G & T might do the trick!

davepro, Jun 8, 5:08am
Depends on how much of your life you want to spend clipping. I'd get expert advice on that before making a final decision.

David

maclad, Jun 8, 5:39am
Pyrethrum can make a nice hedge. Easy maintenance, colourful and ours was still good when we decided to replace it after 4 or 6 years.

twain1, Dec 20, 10:10am
Not a good siting for lavender, As suggested lonicera, royena lucida, or buxus but not sempervirens as it doesnt do well in the auckland humidity