BBQ replacement

pommyjohn1, Jan 5, 9:17am
Hi I am looking at replacing my rusty gas bbq but I see the shops are now full of charcoal bbqs ,how do they compare to gas in running costs

blueviking, Jan 5, 12:26pm
Depends on whether you want to go out to your deck, turn the gas on and be cooking within 5 mins or get the charcoal out, light it, make sure it's burning and be cooking in 30mins.
A bag of charcoal is $10 for 1 BBQ. A gas bottle is $26 a fill for maybe 30 BBQs

lythande1, Jan 5, 1:33pm
We built ours out of seconds bricks. Not mortared, just stacked. Old oven tray on top and we use wood, burn it down to coals first.
Cost: Minimal, used various peoples fruit trees etc, haven't bought wood in about 5 years.

edgecrusherr, Jan 5, 2:45pm
If you plan to use it a lot, you can't go past a gas Weber Q. Primarily Aluminium and reinforced plastic, so very little to rust out. They are expensive, but worth it and far more economical than traditional gas BBQs. I've recommended them to 2 friends who ended up purchasing them and they love em - get the model with them temp gauge as handy and has higher lid. Support from Weber NZ is second to none.

wembley1, Jan 5, 3:03pm
Personally I think the Weber BBQs are too expensive for what you get.

Compare a Weber Q ($559 rrp) with a Gasmate Odyssey1 ($349 rrp). Both have cast aluminium bodies; cast iron grills; stainless steel burners; etc; etc. I can't see where the $200 premium is deserved.

http://www.gasmate.co.nz/portable_barbecues.cfm?product_id=2389 https://www.webernz.co.nz/barbecues/weber-q/weber-q/q-q2000au/

I suspect the actual Weber BBQ is a bit like their web page, all mouth and no trousers.

poppit15, Jan 5, 7:27pm
Gasmate have terrible reviews and we should have checked before buying. Rusted so quickly.

wembley1, Jan 5, 8:27pm
You have an aluminium BBQ that rusted?

blueviking, Jan 5, 8:28pm
I've got an old BBQ factory 3 burner about 15 yrs old. Still good as gold. I can do everything and more on it than you can do on a weber. Look for related threads.I probably cook on mine 3 times a week in summer and once a week in winter.

supernova2, Jan 6, 11:22am
Ours is an elcheapo from Bunnings. Its got a bit or surface rust here and there but so what? When, and if, it falls to bits we'll just buy another elcheapo.
It's got a cover so it not an eyesore on the deck.

sanders4, Jan 16, 4:59pm
I paid $150 for a rinnai 4 burner on trademe - 316 stainless with a double skinned hood - auto ignition has died but long matches work well. Burners are avaiable but always check what spares can be purchased for a particular unit. Bunnings seem to stock adequate spares for their models - spending more than about $400 seems wasteful even if you use it as much as I and others on here do - mine is used at least 4 times a week.