Weber bbq gas bottle.

bennybullet, Nov 28, 4:19pm
Bought a weber Q2000 bbq and want to use a small 4 kg gas bottle but in the guide it says minimums 4.5 kg Anyone know the reason for this and am I going to have to use a 9kg one? Thanks

tweake, Nov 28, 4:46pm
it will probably be due to gas flow. small bottles often do not have a variable regulator and may not provide enough gas flow.

bennybullet, Nov 28, 5:03pm
awesome thank you well it will have to be 9kg

wembley1, Nov 29, 8:49am
Almost but not quite. The Weber will require a regulated supply (regardless of cylinder size) — it's the evaporative capacity of the cylinder. A small cylinder may not be able to evaporate enough of the liquid gas to feed the appliance.

Having said that a 4 kg cylinder should work, similar small BBQs use a 1lb disposable canister.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/blog/behind-the-grill/fuel-options-for-the-weber-q/weber-30374.html

tweake, Nov 29, 11:08am
i've used 4kg bottle on the usual 3 burner bbq and it iced the bottle pretty well despite limited use.
plus you empty it fairly quick. 9kg is a better option, easier to refill.
i have the 4kg on a little 2 burner fold away cooker.

quite correct that the small bottles can't evaporate enough gas.

wembley1, Nov 29, 7:58pm
The OP's machine is a single burner.

wembley1, Nov 29, 8:20pm
PS

I think OP was panicking because the Weber instructions said 4.5kg and he only had a 4kg. The 4.5 comes from an American translation of their standard 10lb consumer cylinders. They are essentially the same cylinder.

perfectimages, Nov 29, 8:22pm
Perhaps it may look and possibly be described as such but with the oval design of the Weber burner it really is the equivalent of a dual burner, on the Q2000, and much more efficient than 2 separate ones.

wembley1, Nov 30, 9:33am
No.

The Weber Q2000 has a rating of 13 MJ/h.

Comparable single burner portable BBQ have similar ratings:
Jumbuck 13.5 MJ/h
Gasmate 11 MJ/h
Kiwi Sizzler 12 MJ/h

perfectimages, Nov 30, 11:07am
I do not think you can compare those "cheap and nasty" makes to a Weber, even if the figures you quote are correct. The proof is in the using.

wembley1, Nov 30, 12:44pm
The "proof" is in the rating, which is determined by the certification agency through standardised testing. The rating describes how much gas the appliance uses. How much gas an appliance uses determines the size of the cylinder required through the evaporative capacity of the cylinder.

This what this discussion is about.

The "quality" of the appliance has nothing to do whether a 4 kg cylinder can deliver gas to it.

tygertung, Nov 30, 1:15pm
Pop the bottle into a dish of warm water, it won't ice up then.

perfectimages, Nov 30, 1:31pm
Did you not notice the emoticon I used? Lighten up it is a crappy day outside. Certainly not BBQ weather.

smallwoods, Nov 30, 1:43pm
A lot of posters seem to miss those!

bennybullet, Nov 30, 10:42pm
I actually wanted to buy the 4 kg bottle for the convenience and portability but will stick with the 9 kg as I know there won't be problems with that Thanks for the interesting discussion

trackim, Sep 6, 1:41pm
x1
I use a 9kg at home on our Weber, but always use the 4kg when away camping.
Never had any issue with the 4kg - from slow cook roasts to red hot steak cooking, and it gets a lot of use!