45kg gas bottle.how long should it last?

fordcrzy, Feb 13, 7:32am
we have a new house and suspect we have a leak somewhere(LPG smells every now and then) and we have used up a 45kg bottle in just 2 months thats with just a Rinnai27 and a 6 burner hob. family of four with two young kids. that seems excessive. we were lead to beleive that a 45 kg would last 6 months iwth that sort of useage. how long does your bottle last?

bronglen, Feb 13, 7:34am
We have 2 adults and Miss 12. Ours is just used for hot water and it lasts about 2 months.

5425, Feb 13, 7:52am
To find any possible leaks , try using some soapy water with a paint brush on the joints you can access. This will prove there are no leaks for your own peace of mind.

jc239, Feb 13, 8:06am
Our 45kg bottle last 5 -6 weeks family of 4 doing hot water( 1 shower)
And 6 ring gas job.

monsieurl, Feb 13, 9:56am
Wow! 2 adults and an 11yo usually get 3-4 months out of one at our place, we have water on gas (Bosch highflow with digi controller) but have never had to replace it before 2 months, even with having our friends(family of 5) from Australia stay with us for 3 weeks!

captaink, Feb 13, 10:04am
There's only two of us and only for hot water, don't even get close to 3 months little own 6 months! Someone was telling you porkiesl! Real estate agent perhaps or the gas man, in my opinion, if you have proof of being told that you have grounds for compensation.

ryanm2, Feb 13, 6:31pm
Thats about right - no way a single 45kg bottle would much longer than that doing water. Your cooking uses stuff all. $90 for a bottle - so $45 a month for family hot water is pretty good. Remember your old hot water heating system would have made up about 40% of your power bill.

siobhan41, Feb 13, 7:32pm
x1
We get slightly longer in summer than winter but still lucky to get 3 months and that's 2 adults and toddler.
Expect to use afair bit more in winter.

biddy6, Feb 13, 7:58pm
We use a 45kg bottle about every 8-10 weeks in summer, just the hot water, and just 2 adults. It takes a bit more gas down here in general,compared to north island, because its heating up water that is quite a bit colder.

jc239, Feb 13, 8:51pm
By the looks of it I better check for leaks, or put a timer on the shower.

siobhan41, Feb 13, 9:29pm
I think the use sounds normal.

skin1235, Feb 13, 9:49pm
hmmm, would depend on the flow rate of the water I guess
two adults here with a califont for shower use ( but only 5 lt per minute on full flow ), the small 9kg bottle lasts nearly 12 weeks - to get the desired temp the full flow is reduced, auto adjusted to give your set temp
5 burner hob on another 9kg bottle lasts 6 months approx
I'd be very disappointed to be getting through 45 kg in only 2 months

edit

califont has a built in timer set at 20 minutes, never been activated - 20 minutes in the hot shower is too long, even on a cold day, probably like 10 to 12 minutes max, generally 5 to 8

carter19, Feb 13, 9:52pm
Just the timer on the shower and perhaps flow restrictors on the showers so that no-one wants to stay forever. Two months is about right. If you had a fireplace you could use a bottle a week.

jc239, Feb 13, 10:39pm
Yeah use to have an old gas fire, pretty uneconomic. Put in a heatpump and log burner now.
I'm pretty happy with Instant gas hot water, put it in more for the reason to save space and hot water whenever needed.
I'll check flow rate, but it's already restricted by the old galv pipe feeding the house.

briantamaki-god, Feb 14, 9:16am
x1
we have a 9kg bottle lasts just under a month with 3 adults showers only
at 25 bucks a fill its super cheap
rinnai 26 gas

tub4, Feb 14, 6:59pm
ours is hot water only and lasts us just on 4 months for our house with 2 adults.

sanders4, Feb 16, 7:25am
Our average power bill is $150 a month for 4 adults plus occasional visitors for everything except kitchen gas hob which uses about $7 per month lpg, figures quoted above seem ridiculous as they are not for total household useage.Surely people need power for lights etc so why not share their total monthly payout? or are they in the dark - haha - about total monthly payout to their suppliers?

ryanm2, Feb 16, 5:49pm
I didn't think anyone was talking about power, just how long a 45kg lpg bottle should last.

siobhan41, Feb 16, 7:07pm
Summer $52 power and gas bottle 1 every 3 months.
Winter highest $101 and at worst 1 bottle every 2 months.

monsieurl, Jun 20, 7:28am
x1
Exactly! How did anyone get power out of what the OP asked lol