Can I use 9kg gas bottle in place of 45 kg bottle.

beachboy61, Sep 11, 10:08pm
My daughter is moving a rental property tomorrow,but can't get a 45kg gas bottle delivered until Monday. She has asked me to bring my fill 9kg bottle and to prop up to use over the weekend. Is this safe to do this?
I'm not sure if she is using gas for water or both water and cooking.

gpg58, Sep 11, 10:20pm
Usually ok(assuming standard fittings), best only short term while the 9kg is near full.
Some say its all they ever do, but i think those folk must only ever use minimal draw off(or just put up with poor heat output).

athena2, Sep 11, 10:35pm

macman26, Sep 11, 10:50pm
As long as it’s not hanging by the hose and tied in place will be OK. Also test for leaks.
Plumber had a temporary one on a small step ladder and a strap tying it to the wall. Seems a large green wheelie bin is a good height

tygertung, Sep 11, 10:52pm
Yes, but make sure the hose is long enough.

m16d, Sep 12, 7:47am
It'll work as long as the fitting is the same. you'll soon find that out.

intrade, Sep 12, 10:07am
it works i do it all the time i have a big one . when the big one is empty i switch over to the small one propped up by the casing of the old gas heater as that is the hight you need to sit a 9kg bottle on while i go get the big one filled and then switch back over.
"LPG is lpg the size is only the storage container it stands for liquid petrolium gas. its not like there is more pressure in a big bottle.
my big bottle lasts 21 to 25 days and the 9kg 4 to 5 days enough to refill the big bottle.
That said its with a 5kw rinnai flued gas heater 20° c in house from 6 am to 9 am and then again from 4 pm to 8 pm. including cooking with gas. 3 bedroom house.

intrade, Sep 12, 10:13am
cant change the hose got to prop the bottle up with something solide.
i use old housing of usless dangerous kent gas heater = them heaters are banned from retail sale now.

wembley1, Sep 12, 11:23am
What is this "them heaters" which be banned?

crazynana, Sep 12, 2:14pm
Don't mess with gas appliances etc unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing. We are two doors from the house in Christchurch that blew up after having their gas appliance attended to by a qualified gas repairer a year ago,and we have just moved back into our repaired home. All these people saying "prop it up with. " just gives me the willies.

tweake, Sep 12, 2:24pm
+1
don't use the 9kg on a gas heater or water heater. however a cook top should be ok.
with a big gas water heater, like some of the instant hot water setups, they can max out a 45kg bottle on their own.

success27, Sep 12, 4:50pm
My neighbour has 2 x 9 kg gas bottles.They have been there for quite a few years now and used by single tenants only. All good there it seems.Only used for the hot water.

tegretol, Sep 13, 8:31pm
Why not?

tweake, Sep 13, 8:42pm
its just the amount of gas they can use. obviously depends on size.
fine on some small ones, but big household ones probably not.
one of the gas supplies somewhere has a warning about using big water heaters on single 45kg bottles, they recommend running two bottle at once.

which is not a bad idea with 9kg bottles.

we used a small bottle on a bbq once and it froze it. a bottle covered in ice was kinda interesting. bbq didn't want to run on all burners.

judah2, Sep 15, 12:35am
Have used a 9kg gas bottle for over 6 years with no problems Use it for a gas requirements including hot water lasts approx 18 days

tygertung, Sep 30, 2:01am
It may be a hazard to have the bottle propped up upon something if it falls off and the hose starts leaking. You would want to have it secured with some rope or something and possibly an earthing strap if it isn't on the ground. If you are propping it up on something made of metal, that should provide an earthing path.