Natural Gas in a bottle?

draven111, Apr 21, 7:25pm
Any help please - I have an external Rinnai unit to heat the water in my tiny, but it takes natural gas, not LPG - I can only seem to find LPG bottle though. Does anyone know if you can buy natural gas in a bottle, or can you only connect to the mains for natural? Thanks

mojo49, Apr 21, 8:03pm
You need to get the jets changed in the Rinnai unit so it runs on LPG. Not too expensive to do.

draven111, Apr 21, 8:15pm
Thanks - looks like the guy who installed it all for me installed the wrong one. On the specs he said it would an LPG. I'll send him the bill, thanks heaps for your help.

mojo49, Apr 21, 8:45pm
It may actually be and LPG unit, but still with the wrong sticker on it. Check with the guy who installed it. Should be a registered gas-fitter, not just a plumber.

tegretol, Apr 21, 10:54pm
Did the installer not leave it running then? If not, did you pay him and if so why?

supernova2, Apr 22, 5:17pm
Without a gas bottle connected how did the installer complete his checks and did you get a Compliance Cert from him/her?

sr2, Apr 22, 7:57pm
To answer the OP's question, no you can't buy natural gas in a bottle (it doesn't liquefy easily under pressure as LPG does).

You'll need to either run of a mains supply or have a gas fitter re-jet it.

snoopy221, Apr 22, 8:20pm
Well no nowadys but back in the nineties good ole CNG (compressed natural gas) was the thang and ya could go to a service station and fill ya car bottle

wembley1, Apr 23, 9:59am
And some gas companies used a car cylinder in a steel cage to supply a house while they worked on the mains.

sr2, Nov 22, 2:48am
I remember in the early 80's my local gas station used a 308 Holden motor (running on CNG) to run a compressor to supply CNG at the pumps!