Bottle of Kerosene knocked over timber desk, how

cookiebarrel, Jun 2, 6:35pm
do I now get rid of the strong kero smell? Burning it is not an option. Is there something I can put on it to minimize or eliminate the strong smell other than leaving it sitting on the back porch, which it has been for a week, but as soon as it comes inside the smell is too strong again. Had thought of rubbing dry baking soda into it.

mojo49, Jun 2, 7:09pm
Hard smell to get rid of. Any solvent that will take the kero out will also smell. It will evaporate over time but it could well take a while. Maybe blow warm air over it with a hair dryer (not on full heat though) and that might speed up the drying out process. Patience may become a virtue in this case

snoopy221, Jun 2, 7:15pm
Wait until summer and then when it has been out for a few weeks ya gotzz a chance but this time of the year -ya dreamin
as above patience

budgel, Jun 2, 7:53pm
Dry baking soda wont hurt it, worth a try. I had a mate who painted kero over an antique table to kill borer. It smelled for years. The borer vacated though!

I wonder if painting on something more volatile like white spirits would evaporate the oily smells off quicker. That wouldnt leave a permanent smell itself, but be careful!

scottea, Jun 2, 7:58pm
Next fine day try covering it with a layer of very damp mud. As the mud dries it will/should absorb some of the kero and with it the smell. Good luck.

cookiebarrel, Jun 3, 12:15am
Thank you so much for your advice and input guys. Where were you too advise me not to leave an uncapped bottle of kero on an unsteady surface ;-) Buried a burnt saucepan in the ground once to remove the burnt stuff and it worked so maybe I should try burying the desk ;-) And as for patience wellllllll I have a fridge magnet that is perfect for me it says Lord give me patience, but I want it right now! Yep I know typical female.

snoopy221, Jun 3, 1:39am
TYPICAL?
Keerist an honest one is rare as rkn hrs shyt lol

it right now! Yep I know typical female.

cookiebarrel (2 ) 12:15 am, Sun 3 Jun #6

bryshaw, Nov 4, 1:15pm
Use bbq fat absorber to soak up the kero. You won't get any borer now.