Poppy plants Christchurch

brightlights60, Oct 21, 7:25pm
Has anyone seen any in the garden centres this weekend?

harrislucinda, Oct 21, 9:18pm
what kind of poppy many kinds

harrislucinda, Oct 21, 9:21pm

brightlights60, Oct 21, 10:42pm
Just the typical eg. Flandersfor bedding plants. I see loads in display gardens but have trouble finding suppliers of them. Places like the Warehouse and bunnings don't and I haven't seen any in Oderings either.

harrislucinda, Oct 21, 10:48pm
oh I did buy some from new world the other big type but if wanting the Shirley poppy best to buy seeds pop in now still time to do seeds

brightlights60, Oct 22, 11:05am
Haven't had much luck with the seeds, was hoping for the plants. They seem quite hard to find.

miffycat1, Oct 22, 5:40pm
I am sure i saw some yesterday @ Portstone Nursery Ferry Road.

brightlights60, Oct 22, 5:48pm
Thanks will look into it. Thought someone might see them this weekend as traditionally its the busiest one in the garden in Spring.

brightlights60, Oct 25, 11:07am
I found some at Portstone, got the last 2 punnets. Will do some seeds as well. Love poppies, but hard to find the actual plants.

beebs, Oct 25, 11:24am
awapuni nurseries online, awesome plants and reasonable prices. just brought some the same!

beebs, Oct 25, 11:26am
just checked, at the moment the flanders are sold out, but they will restock

brightlights60, Oct 25, 5:51pm
Thanks beebs, never knew about them. Am finding I am buying more of the plants I really really want either online, on TradeMe or church fairs and such.

piquant, Oct 26, 9:21am
Please get your facts right if you are going to be giving advice. Sorry, but this is just SO confusing for people trying to get answers. The poppies in question are Papaver somniferum (opium poppy) They have a very glaucous foliage and emit a milky sap when broken. (As do all poppies, to a certain extent). Flanders Poppies (papaver rhoeas) are red and are common in agricultural crops in UK and Europe and are the commonly recognised flower to memorialise the soldiers killed in Flanders in 1915. However, papaver rhoeas comes in a variety of colours and are annuals often planted en masse in summer gardens. Iceland poppies (papaver nudicale) is in flower in early spring and comes in a range of colours - usually either bright oranges and yellows and coral or there is a pastel range. Then there are the big, bold perennial types like Oriental poppies (papaver orientalis) that have plate sized flowers, most often with big, black blotches around a boss of black stamens and come in a range of colours from dark reds to scarlets, orange to pink and pure white.
Papaver is a huge genus so then you get into the beautiful blue Himalayan poppies (meconopsis) which also comes in a wide range of colours - but that's a whole different story.
Seed is the way to go for papaver somniferum - they dislike being transplanted so broadcast a packet of seed where you want them growing and let nature do the rest. Do it now, though - as it'll be getting too hot soon.

brightlights60, Feb 26, 8:00am
Thanks for the advice. The area they are going into is shaded by a massive pre-European ribbonwood tree, and annually topped up with bioblend. Plus its watered daily, so its an amazing and safe place to plant these up to quite late.