I have a steelclad garage

maclad, Mar 7, 5:33pm
Cannot think of brand name right now. Is it possible to add a second story to this. Thinking if I could so I could accommodate all my family, kids and grandies.

maclad, Mar 7, 5:41pm
Skyline or similar

mm12345, Mar 7, 5:58pm
Building a secret basement under the garage to store your extended family might be a safer idea - I read on the interweb where people got away with this kind of thing for decades.

loud_37, Mar 7, 6:24pm
Anything is possible, it just depends on how much you want to spend. They would probably end up pulling the whole shed down and starting again as they will need to add bracing and strength.

maclad, Mar 7, 6:37pm
Yes was wondering if that could be the case. I have totally no knowledge in this field and really just putting out feelers

tweake, Mar 7, 8:33pm
garages are built as cheaply and flimsy as possible. theres nothing strong enough to add another story onto.
it will be easier to knock it down and build another.

lakeview3, Mar 7, 10:13pm
Better off with a caravan or tiny house.

m16d, Mar 7, 10:16pm
Jack it up and build the 2nd story underneath.

supernova2, Mar 7, 10:24pm
That's probably the cheapest option, however you will still run into problems trying to get a steel garage compliant as living accommodation.

golfdiver, Mar 8, 6:53am
Plenty of steel clad houses out there though

martin11, Mar 8, 12:38pm
Probably find the garage has no damp proof under the floor and unsuitable foundations for a second story

golfdiver, Mar 8, 1:25pm
Like another poster suggested, I would jack it up and build a concrete block lower story

alleycatz, Mar 8, 2:20pm
If you were going to build "underneath' . it would be cheaper and easier to dissmantle what you have as those steel clad ones are basically kitset style and then build it back on top. ?

elect70, Mar 8, 4:39pm
Your joking ? they are only strong enough to support itself & some brands arent allowed in high wind areas . .Anyway cheaper to rebuild . I looked at extending a doulble garage to make it a tripple . Cost was higher than to sell origonal & build complte new garage

maclad, Dec 12, 5:47pm
Oh well it was only a thought and a maybe solution. Thanks everyone but will have a rethink now.