So I asked the roof guy to

ycart3, Feb 11, 9:37am
give me a quote to replace the old gutter and down pipe on one side of the house. He gave me a quote which I read and said ok too. He did the job but didn't replace the down pipe. When the invoice arrived I emailed and asked when can I expect the down pipe. To which he replied " I didnt quote for it, so it will cost extra". Sure enough the quote does not state the down pipe.

How do I proceed? I feel like he hasn't quoted properly for the job I asked him to do. I mean who asks for everything but the down pipe to be replaced. but I realise I said yes to the quote he provided not seeing that a down pipe was not listed as part of the quote.

My question is who should pay to replace the down pipe I asked for and expected to receive?

gabbysnana, Feb 11, 9:44am
You. It is what it is.

mack77, Feb 11, 9:46am
Unfortunately I don't think that there's much you can do it about it now other than pay somebody to replace the down-pipe.
The best way to have prevented this sort or problem would have been for you to have written down a description of the work required to be done and got several tradespeople to quote and sign your document.

gary06, Feb 11, 9:58am
I come across this sort of thing more and more these days. If you are getting a "quote" and not an estimate it is imperative that you ask for a full breakdown of materials and labour. Otherwise you just don't know what you are actually paying for.

krames, Feb 11, 2:03pm
you accepeted the quote, he did the quoted work, whats the problem?

articferrit, Feb 11, 2:27pm
You read the quote and didnt notice that the downspout wasnt itemised or included in the price you agreed to pay. He did the work he quoted for, just ask for a price to get the spouting done and check your quote better next time, or give the person a written list of the work you want a quote for.

johotech, Feb 11, 8:07pm
No tradesperson doing a quote are going to breakdown every single piece of material and every hour of labour. That's the whole point of a quote. It's an all inclusive price for the work as described. The tradesperson agrees to provide the services listed for the agreed price, and the customer knows exactly what the work is going to cost.

There should be a detailed description of the work included and an outline of the materials that are included or excluded. But there will not be detailed pricing of those items, only a total price.

There may be breakdowns of some sections of the work if that is what was requested - i.e. in this example maybe you want a separate price for gutter and spouting. But be aware that this may impact the total price, because the tradesperson will be under the impression that they might only get part of the job, and quote each part as a separate job.

golfdiver, Feb 12, 7:02am
Is OP expecting the tradesman to pay for HIS downpipe?

funkydunky, Feb 13, 10:51am
Do you need a new downpipe? If it was U/S then surely the guy would have mentioned it.

onl_148, Feb 13, 11:57am
As stated the OP got what was quoted for. perhaps in the defence of the OP, the tradie could have done himself a favour by specifly mention that he was not quoting for the downpipe. maybe he determined upon inspection of the job, at quoting time, that in fact it did not need replacing !

marte, Feb 14, 1:01am
Donald Trump called this "Promise high, deliver low, keep the difference".

don735, Dec 24, 9:50am
crap a quote is a quote,not a shopping list of items from bunnings or were ever, if you cant read the quote to work out whats been quoted for ask the question . imperative my arse lets not under state things here