Neighbors hedge

seanpenn, Feb 28, 6:13pm
Does anyone know if there are height restrictions on hedges along a fenceline?
My neighbor has a mature privet hedge along the fence line on their side. Privet grows extremely quickly and although they have it trimmed a couple of times a year, it's still too high and is currently level with the eaves on my single story house. I don't mind the hedge but it needs to be reduced substantially.
Can anyone give any advice. Also the fencing act doesn't mention hedges, only fences and trees

schnauzer11, Feb 28, 6:29pm
Have you spoken with them? They may be perfectly reasonable and happy to reduce the height.

oddbits, Feb 28, 6:29pm
if they are on your side you can cut them back I think , check with the council would be safer though

heisei28, Feb 28, 6:40pm
Privet? Oh the hayfever.
It should be a noxious weed.

seanpenn, Feb 28, 6:42pm
To reduce the height it would need a chain saw rather than hedge trimmer.
I just wondered if there is a height restriction.

samanya, Feb 28, 6:53pm
I thought it was?

venna2, Feb 28, 8:19pm

supernova2, Feb 28, 8:37pm
I suppose it would depend on if the hedge is serving the purpose of a fence. If its a fence then it should only be 1.8m high max. Will probably be covered in the local Council District Plan. Will also be some requirements about shading and light etc so if the hedge is that high it will be breeching all those conditions.
Talk with the neighbours. If no luck might have to go to the Disputes Tribunal.

Could always serve a fencing notice requiring the hedge to be removed and a fence constructed but I suspect that will be a very costly exercise.

mack77, Feb 28, 10:38pm
Every town has a different height restriction for hedges, so the only way to find out is to read the District Plan or telephone your local authority (council).
You will then be able to let us all know what this limit is for Christchurch city.

lythande1, Mar 1, 3:47am
It grows more than just quickly, it spreads like the nasty weed that it is. An infestation follows soon after.

colin433, Mar 2, 8:22pm
I believe it has been classified as noxious. The flowers would drive me to distraction

monsieurl, Mar 2, 10:53pm
I had the same issue here in Dunedin, there are no restrictions on hedges or trees (only fences) they are above our property so it's very hard to cut the top from our side and these guys have only cut it once in 5 years, this year i bought 2 carbide tipped circular saw attachments for my scrubcutter and cut the hedge that was at least 20-25 foot high to 5 foot got a chipper and skip and sorted that hedge out. Talk to them and if they wont help just cut it.

dibble35, Mar 3, 6:39am
Yes talk to them, but you cant just cut it if its on their property as OP suggested. You can cut anything overhanging/on your side of boundary line though.

cleggyboy, Mar 3, 11:05am
Besides it being an irritant to some people the birds distribute the seed everywhere, it is a real nuisance plant/tree.

seanpenn, Mar 6, 9:43pm
Thanks for all the comments. It is not a fence as I had a 1m high fence erected to keep my dog in at the base of the hedge on the boundary line. I have trimmed it back on my side but because it's so tall, I'm not able to maintain it anymore as climbing a ladder is a bit dangerous and I don't have the right power tools.
I'll go to get some free legal aid then decide from there. I have spoken to them a few years ago but before I do again, I need to know my legal rights.

ricp, Dec 12, 11:44am
As a Garden Centre we are not allowed to sell privet now.
I believe you are allowed to have it as a hedge or shrub but not allowed to let it flower (ie. must prune it when in bud) due to the severe hayfever it causes those vunerable, and to prevent it seeding.