Soggy compost

lindi4, Nov 7, 9:11pm
I use a large black plastic compost bin with a lid, the ones you can buy and I put in a good mix.but. it's always too wet, Is that because of condensation from the plastic lid being on. I have to tip it all out and turn it sometimes.Its not as tho the rain gets in really.

junie2, Nov 7, 9:45pm
Are you doing the ratio thingy . ie , making 3-4 inch layers of green, scraps, grass clippings etc, interspersed with dry layers - peastraw, raked up leaves etc ?

happychappy50, Nov 7, 10:12pm
Sounds as tho it is not getting enough air,is there a drainage point as the “cooking” process will create moisture,if it cannot get away or your compost cannot breath it will kill all the organisms that break down what you add,your compost is a living product.It is of little consequence how you layer it,as long as you don’t have an excess of any one item,create a balance of items you add & the worms & bacteria will do the rest.I throw in lawn clippings,leaves,excess vegetables left over from the garden,a few handfuls of lime & that is basically it,it is covered in some plastic to keep the rain out but the sides are open allowing it to breathe,within 6 months I am forking it into the garden,full of worms & beaut organic matter.

lythande1, Nov 8, 7:48am
That is why a pile is far better. Bins became a thing because someone figured they can make money from it.
Back in the day there were no bins, just heaps, that you could turn, and the rain could get in, sunlight and all the natural things.

docsportello, Nov 8, 9:21am
Try adding 50% to 100% newly mulched/green trees shreddings to your brown sludge. Till it looks "Too dry". Sounds like there's enough moisure in there, and the shredded tree bits will distribute air throughout the pile. It'll soon start up again.

lindi4, Nov 8, 9:43am
I put in all those things as mentioned above, I agree, the big plastic bins are not the best way to make compost, wondered if anyone else had a problem with them retaining too much moisture.May be I will leave the lid off and even cover with a sack or something?

kateley, Nov 8, 10:09am
I use several of the black plastic compost bins. they are all slightly different and some don't have enough holes in the sides to let in the air. I fix this with a large drill bit
Also, I always lay a criss-cross of sticks on the bottom before I start filling, to lift the bottom a little off the ground.

mark_g, Nov 8, 9:13pm
I use the plastic bins too. And it works ok. I never have a 'too much moisture problem'. Every now and then I have to put a bit of water in from the hose. I have though, like the above poster, drilled several 30mm holes around all of the bins to get air moving through them a bit. And also like above I lay sticks at the bottom.

rita197, Feb 16, 5:11pm
Using a large amount of leaves/ twigs will keep the air flowing. I/3 kitchen scraps to 2/3 green garden matter. I stir mine with a garden stake every 3 weeks.