Seeds bought off trademe

colin433, Feb 25, 10:04am
I have bought countless packets of seeds off trademe sellers, and with two exceptions, not a sossige when sown. I used to grow plants for sale, mostly from seed collected from my own garden.
I assume the seeds sold on here are gathered from the seller's own garden, so why don't they germinate.
I have decided enough is enough, and I will not be buying more seeds from trademe sellers.

golfdiver, Feb 25, 1:50pm
I didn’t realise the sausages came from seeds

colin433, Feb 25, 7:28pm
the store-bought seeds aren't worth much either, and very few seeds in most of the packets for quite high prices.
That's the reason I started buying from the t/m sellers, and I don't think they are seeds that have been bought in. It's easy to see those sellers, they have a photo of the merchants package usually.

I have to say that the green zinnias that I bought have been absolutely wonderful and have caused a lot of good comments as people pass by.

My latest purchase was drunken woman lettuces, I sowed them and covered with a large water bottle cut off at the bottom, to create a small glass-house effect. No sign of seedlings yet. they are well past the recommended time for germination

sky44, Feb 25, 8:57pm

apollo11, Feb 25, 11:38pm
The crispy orange sausages do.

wasgonna, Feb 26, 11:33am
And I thought seeds were for making into healthy energy bars.

paora-tm, Feb 27, 10:36am
I think many are selling seeds saved from their gardens and you can't always be sure you're going to get what you expect from seeds produced in an uncontrolled environment. I've bought many duds from TM sellers - some not germinating and many not what they should be. I also see some sellers selling repackaged seeds from places like Kings Seeds and Egmont seeds - some of the repricing is daylight robbery with half the number of seeds at double the price!

blans, Feb 27, 3:34pm
I buy most of my seeds from Egmont seeds,thier full catalogue is on line.Good to deal with and cheaper than the common seed companies,and they grow.

tourer100, Feb 28, 8:56am
Yes, to many success stories here either, won’t be buying seeds from Tm again, that’s for sure, bought white borage seeds on Tm, they were no shows, tried a few different gos with them, borage, really I have purple borage come up everywhere.

colin433, Mar 2, 8:27pm
today, about three weeks after sowing, there is one tiny plant that has appeared overnight. I sincerely hope it's a drunken woman lettuce and not something out of the seed raising mix LOL.
But ONE show of green in three weeks. Not on.

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 2, 9:45pm
Well, there ya go. Buying drunken seed.

Should've gone for Freckles.

(Btw, I love TM garden stuff sellers. Never a dud. Well, except for those Jap anemones that is. And that lily lady. )

skyeboat, Mar 4, 7:54am
I get my seeds from Kings Seeds and really pleased with what have has been sown, also seem to have more success with Carnival Seeds from the Warehouse than Yates or McGregors

meetee, Mar 9, 6:30pm
There are some seed sellers I won't buy from again, but there are some I'm very happy with. My vegetable seeds I get online from Egmont seeds - great success rates unlike with some Kings seeds which are dearer.

ricp, Dec 12, 1:00am