Today I found what looked like white mushrooms.

Page 1 / 2
cookiebarrel, Feb 18, 4:08am
They were pure white on top and underneath, looked just like ordinary field mushrooms. Never seen them before and was wondering if anyone knows what they are. Would guess they are not edible mushrooms, at least I wouldn't be trying them. Just curious about them.

lilyfield, Feb 18, 8:12am
Where did you find them? Photo? Mostlikely they are edible, now is the season

blueviking, Feb 18, 8:29am
There are thousands of different Fungi in NZ, most are inedible. Google NZ fungi and look for the photo of it and then look the description up.

schnauzer11, Feb 18, 9:18pm
I hope the OP follows blueviking's advice! Fungi are an interest of mine. Yes, some are edible but you need to be able to identify them as many resemble the many more that are not. I wouldn't go fungi-gathering with someone who believes that 'most' are edible!

maclad, Feb 18, 9:20pm
You need to get a positive ID from someone who really knows their stuff

cookiebarrel, Feb 18, 10:53pm
Okay these 'are they mushrooms' that I found. Haven't got a photo yet, silly me but hope they will still be around tomorrow so I can get some. They were in my backyard growing at the edge of the blackberries on the top of the stream bank. They get sun and shade depending on time of day. Been here nearly 2 years and not seen them before. Did a quick Google search last night but didn't find anything quite like them. Will try again doing the NZ Fungi search. I certainly wouldn't be eating them, even went straight in and scrubbed hands well when I found them and picked one to have a good look underneath it at the gills. I'm very careful with the field mushrooms and took an experienced 'mushroomer' with me to collect before I was willing to try them. Do hope that they are still there tomorrow and I can get a good photo. What really sticks in my mind is how white they were and almost glowing but not and I know that sounds so weird. Oh and promise I wasn't drunk or anything at the time.

harrislucinda, Feb 19, 8:21am
not a mushroom if has.nt got brown gills dont eat
i have found fungi that are real mustard colour than thick so many types around

lillol, Feb 19, 8:50am
I've got heaps of little mushrooms growing in my pot plants indoors. First time this has happened. I guess the conditions are excellent for them.

rainrain1, Feb 19, 6:22pm
It has been a wonderful season for mushrooms, down South anyway, had to waste sooo many, as couldn't deal with them all, never seen anything like it before, no worms either. Weeks of them, I've made soup , sauce for steak, and frozen them sliced, given away heaps and heaps.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/733414368.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/727469169.jpg Wasted https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/733415195.jpg

rainrain1, Feb 19, 6:25pm
Don't eat those white things post #1

rainrain1, Feb 19, 6:28pm
That's not right either, they have pink gills when fresh, they go brown with age.

harrislucinda, Feb 19, 6:57pm
yours must be old as dont see pink gills on your lot

rainrain1, Feb 19, 6:59pm

rainrain1, Feb 19, 7:36pm
Don't think you know very much about mushrooms at all.

strathview, Feb 19, 7:59pm
Got four bucketfuls of mushrooms and gave away some to friends. All cooked and in the freezer for mushroom soup yum.

marte, Feb 20, 1:38am
Don't eat the mushrooms that are on the $50 notenote.

Well, if you do, enjoy the trip.

harrislucinda, Feb 20, 8:44am
well should have shown more to explain i know they change but others dont

rainrain1, Feb 21, 9:34am
Should I have, really. where's your photo?

harrislucinda, Feb 21, 10:06am
eaten mine

rainrain1, Feb 21, 11:18am
You tricky dicky

arielbooks, Feb 22, 9:53am
Most likely death caps. Don't eat

lakeview3, Feb 22, 10:19am
I once heard a guy say, you can usually eat every type of mushroom at least once.

(think about it)

SO DONT EAT IT!

kiwimade64, Feb 22, 10:51am
We've been picking mushrooms off our lawn too, they are delicious! The humidity and rain has meant a good 'crop'. If in doubt don't eat though.

coop19, Feb 22, 5:07pm
They sound like deathcaps. I have them in my paddock. Very common around here at the moment. Do not eat any unidentified mushrooms! A lot of gilled mushrooms, and there are hundreds of varieties of them, are poisonous or inedible. Get yourself a book if you are determined to try some. There is a pocket booklet called 'Mushrooms of NZ' or similar which is in colour with great descriptions that will; provide the full Latin and common names and you can then research further the various types that you recognise, on the internet. Most bookshops have it in their NZ section. The book is part of a NZ nature series on trees, insects, birds etc etc. Cant lay my hands on mine, but it was only about $18 probably 8 years ago.

schnauzer11, Feb 22, 5:36pm
I have the same book, if it's the Mobil New Zealand nature series. Had it for years and it's helped me forage for a number of edible kinds of fungi.