A Building Consent Question Please

jollyroddy, Sep 15, 9:10am
I have a 100 year old cottage, I have a section of about 3 m by about .7 m on the south side of the bathroom (poor access / can't be seen as is hard on the boundary) which I need to reclad - the current cladding rotton and falling off. For budget and long term I want to use long run roofing tin.

My question is?
Is this area a small job or do I need a permit for that amount)
Do I need a permit to insulate if it is a small area ?

I can do it smaller - like 3 weather boards - they are small ones.

All advice welcome. Really trying to find solutions which are economical, long term and effective. .

Thanks Rod (cross posted)

budgel, Sep 15, 10:45am
I would just do it. As long as you do it properly, it is a small repair and unlikely it would ever be noticed.

tegretol, Sep 15, 10:46am
Any work to do with waterproofness now requires a building permit and an LBP to sign off. This is even more the case when you are changing the cladding as the council needs to be convinced of the suitability of the new materials. Common sense says that corrugated iron is a brilliant external cladding but common sense ain't part of the equation.

By the way, they also say now that even replacing the internal cladding on an external wall is a BC issue. No wonder there is so much unconsented work going on in NZ with this level of control going on.

amasser, Sep 15, 10:58am
Ignore council's rules at your risk when you want to sell. A call will cost you nothing.

apollo11, Sep 15, 2:04pm
You can replace like for like, as long as the work is done to the standard of the code. Adding insulation to exterior walls requires consent.

fast4motion, Sep 15, 2:33pm
Easiest and cheapest is to replace like for like, so you don't need a permit.

While corrugated iron might seem like a good and simple solution, the issue is around weathertightness where it meets the existing weatherboards. So it would need a permit ($$$), which I think requires professional drawings ($$$$$$) showing the products and methods used in the transition from new to old cladding etc.

Also check the rot wasn't caused by an ongoing leak inside the bathroom walls.

golfdiver, Sep 15, 8:07pm
Strictly speaking, you are incorrect

cagivachick1, Sep 15, 9:47pm
what part?

pauldw, Sep 15, 10:11pm
The bit that Schedule 1 exemptions haven't already contradicted.

jollyroddy, Sep 15, 10:24pm
Hi, Have done the internal bathroom - the clawfoot bath fell through the floor - sigh !

hulloitsme, Sep 16, 3:42am
Were you in it at the time?

happychappy50, Sep 16, 7:53am
Reminds me yrs ago,did a bathroom Reno & I suggested to the owner to beef up the floor as they wanted a claw foot bath (b & j floor) they said it would be ok,guess what happened several tiles cracked as the floor couldn’t take the weight.Tried to blame me,went to court,they ended up repairing at their cost.I had made notes all the way through,didn’t have a leg to stand on.

jollyroddy, Sep 16, 10:30am
Oh wow happychappy50, thats a bit of commonsense really. The clawfoot bath is dumped in the middle of the shed and moving it is going to be a several person job. Maybe easier to move the shed lol

Hulloitsme - nope not in it, happened before I bought the property. Old houses are sure adventures !

tegretol, Sep 16, 11:38am
In what respect?

apollo11, Sep 16, 6:36pm
"Any work to do with waterproofness now requires a building permit and an LBP to sign off."
Repairs of 'like for like' do not require building consent (unless the product/system has failed prematurely). Work is required to meet code though, even if building consent isn't required.

"By the way, they also say now that even replacing the internal cladding on an external wall is a BC issue. No wonder there is so much unconsented work going on in NZ with this level of control going on."
Internal linings can be replaced as long as the bracing schedule isn't impacted, however consent is required if retrofitting insulation to exterior walls- mainly a check to make sure the building paper is OK.

jollyroddy, Sep 22, 11:52pm
Looks like its been 103 years so no premature failure LOL