Roof painters required not fly by night operators.

skifflebar, Feb 21, 3:06pm
We are located in Papakura and our roof requires only a few rust repairs (sealing?) and then painting.
Are there any roof painter tradesmen that you have used and been satisfied with their integrity and the quality of the work that they do? Any recommendations?

dansac, Feb 21, 4:11pm
0800 roof painters Father and son business out Papakura way. did my roof and garage in 2016, garage is the size of a small house and the house roof is extremely steeply pitched with a veranda roof on three sides.
they repaired the ridge on the garage, and sorted everything else did a brilliant job. they also painted the garage doors the same colour.
Hope this is of some help

jills3, Feb 21, 7:08pm
Do think 0800 roof painters also look at putting up spouting, just a hope.

grrrahaaam, Feb 21, 8:18pm
I understand Bruce Cameron is still in business, been around Franklin a while.

golfdiver, Feb 21, 8:29pm
How old is it? How bad is the rust? What type of nails?

skifflebar, Feb 23, 4:03am
Thanks for the responses so far. :-)

Original 60s galvanised iron with early rust evidence, not major at all as I have been told. The original lead heads were removed some years back and replaced with spring head nails.

golfdiver, Feb 23, 6:37am
If you mean twist shank or weather seal nails, then they are even worse than lead head nails. I have a current case where the client had this done and then painted the roof. The painter walking the roof as is required during the job “worked” the nails and it has several leaks. They are going to replace it. You may get away with it, but I think those nails are one of the worst things that ever went on the market. Screws are far far better.

skifflebar, Feb 23, 8:40am
Yes I think those are the ones that were used. What are their shortfall failings? I would have thought that the spiral would have greater holding power. They are still being sold, aren't they?

golfdiver, Feb 23, 9:46am
They were a terrible product. We would replace a house lot twice a month with screws. The nail often “pops” a little in the change of temperature and then the washer fails then the water comes in down the fluted shaft. Ask why they aren’t used on any new builds.

survivalkiwi, Feb 23, 12:17pm
As a builder myself i second what gd is saying. Also I heard of some used many years back where the rubber perished within a couple of years causing leaks in a near new home.

skifflebar, Feb 24, 12:02pm
All of that and the product is still being sold to the unsuspecting, unknowing public?
That really is piss poor. What do the building regulators say?
Why does the building/ roofing industry not voice their concerns loudly?
I imagine that this product sits along with the other products that comprise the 'leaky buildings' fiasco.

survivalkiwi, Feb 24, 12:20pm
Because it does not really affect the roofing industry. After all who would buy them? Only someone who does not know enough about what they are doing.
Any licenced roofer would not touch them.

skifflebar, Feb 24, 12:40pm
They are sold by the manufacturers as a roofing nail. Surely there is responsibility on their part?
Another perspective is that the use of these fastenings is beneficial to the roofing industry so why would they loudly proclaim any concern; because there is no concern on their part; just more reroofs into the future.
The question still arises; if licensed roofing industry is ethical, surely they would be more proactive in alerting the public and giving the manufacturers with a swift serve.
I appreciate you and golfdiver bringing this concern to my attention and the readers of this thread.

skifflebar, Feb 24, 12:51pm
I assume that these spiral nails can be a b*stard to remove? If a reroof is to be done, what is the best method to remove prior to laying down new roofing?

cleggyboy, Feb 24, 12:59pm
Ians Roofing did my roof renailed and applied Kowhai Coatings I was rapt in the job, nice staff as well.

survivalkiwi, Feb 24, 4:32pm
I dont think any reputable roofing manufacturer would sell them. As for products that dont work ,the market place is full of them from sily exercise machines to miracle drain cleaners. Buyer be where. I was talking to an other builder a while ago who had problems with stainless self drilling screws shearing off. When he went to the supplier they claimed he should have used a thicker gauge. When asked what the ones bought were for they could not tell him.

survivalkiwi, Feb 24, 4:33pm
A pinch bar and an old rubber handled hammer in the hollow.

survivalkiwi, Feb 24, 4:48pm
Or they may still be used for the likes of goldpine farm sheds.

skifflebar, Feb 24, 8:37pm
NZNails, Bunnings, Arrownails, Eurosteel, NZWire, they are all at it and not one mention of the potential shortfall.
Ahh, where are decent NZ Standards when you need them?
On the crappa reading a magazine, that's where.

skifflebar, Feb 24, 8:41pm
In this time, the term stainless steel is often just a misnomer .

golfdiver, Feb 25, 9:05am
Why would anyone serious about roofing longrun iron buy from any of those companies. I’ve mentioned on here many times the folly of using these nails. Not sure what else I’m expected to do?

skifflebar, Feb 25, 4:06pm
I don't think that are expected to do any more than what you have done by anouncing the shortcomings of the spring head nails.

I imagine that this knowledge was gained by experience by yourself or through that of others. Either way, I am sure that there were quite a few roofs fastened down with these spring heads before the problems revealed themselves.
Thanks for the alert, it is appreciated.
These particular spring heads were sourced from and used by a long run roofing company that was located at The Furlong in Takanini. They are no longer there(?).

golfdiver, Feb 26, 6:39am
Should be ok, but can’t tell without looking at it. So long as there is enough cover with the ridge cap and the sheets are turned up it should be fine. A bit of ventilation at the ridge isa good thing

bryshaw, Dec 17, 8:02am
'A little rust' usually means many of the laps are rusty underneath. Walking on the roof supports you will hear crunching underfoot, but if early 60s it may be Aussie or UK galvanised iron (Lysaght?), quite thick and lasting.