LED Downlight installation into existing ceiling

dyln.sampson, Jul 1, 9:11pm
Hi Team,

Is it easy enough for an electrician to install plugs in the roof so I can use this https://www.bunnings.co.nz/deta-9w-warm-white-dimmable-led-downlight_p04390442

dyln.sampson, Jul 1, 9:11pm
How do they do it? how much do you think it would cost?

fast4motion, Jul 1, 10:06pm
Those are quite expensive for the relatively low lumen output they provide.
Do you currently have old style downlights, or just a single light in the centre of the ceiling?

vivac, Jul 1, 11:18pm
deta is absolute garbage.

johotech, Jul 1, 11:56pm
I agree with the others. Get the electrician to provide quality, reliable fittings with a decent light output.

Also they don't say what the warranty is, but make sure you're getting at least 5 years on whatever you buy.

planespotterhvn, Jul 2, 5:42am
An electrician would cut the plug off and connect to the house wire with a chocolate block connector.

ryanm2, Jul 2, 8:45am
A rough sparky might. Must of us sparkies would use a bubble plug. And others have said , those lights are crappola, don’t bother.

ira78, Jul 2, 10:01am
What's a bubble plug? I tried googling various terms but can't come up with anything that looks like it might be right. :)

johotech, Jul 2, 10:07am
Like this. There are various brands.
Obviously it requires an electrician to install.
https://www.clipsal.com/Trade/Products/ProductDetail?CatNo=413

Also with the LED downlights, many of them don't have a cable or plug. So they are connected directly to the wiring from the switch. Once again, an electrician is required.

If you want a proper job and legal installation which is covered by warranty, and your lights in the right place and spaced correctly, with the right amount of light, get an electrician to do it.

tegretol, Jul 2, 5:45pm
Spoken by one!

vivac, Oct 24, 12:47am
Nope, most would wire straight into the driver or fit a single surface socket.
If done the way you describe it would be time to hand in their license.