New stove and installation

Page 1 / 2
mariner26, Jan 21, 2:51am
Have purchased a new stove. Firm is to deliver it and take away the old stove. That is being done for free - a deal I negotiated.
Asked salesman whether installer will wire in the new stove. Answer - "No".
I was told that an electrician has to do the wiring connection of the new unit. Asked salesman - "then how come the installer can unwire the old stove and take it away but not wire in the new stove" He could not answer that.
So - what do folk think of this. Can I do the wiring in of the new stove? Before the new one arrives I shall take the back off the present one and take a picture of the wiring connection so that I know how the wiring is to be connected. The new stove is just a later model of the existing one.
Does the instruction manual that comes with the new stove tell me how to wire it in?

hammer23, Jan 21, 3:01am
The sales guy is right,it is tempting to wire up the new one your self but if anything goes wrong don't expect the ins. company to pay out. A mate of mine did what you are planning and got it wrong and blew the fuse out on the telegraph pole,that took a bit of explaining.
When they take out the old one take the stove fuse out of the switch board and keep it in your pocket till a real electrician turns up,TRUST nothing with electricity,it has no friends.

ryanm2, Jan 21, 4:32am
If you are confident enough and its your house im pretty sure you can wire it up yourself as the homeowner.
However, a few issues may occur. You may have 2 phases at your current oven, you will then need to remove a link in the new one, load ratings on cable, is the new oven the same Kw rating as the old one, having the tools to test your install after power turned on, tools to terminate cables correctly, is the existing oven fixed or plugged in, is then the cable long enough for the new oven for a easy install. For the sake of $100 I would just get a sparky to do it for you correctly and safely.

mariner26, Jan 21, 6:04am
Thanks Ryan.
Looks like it's the local sparky to do the job then. Too much can go wrong and that's too big a risk.

michelle_smith, Jan 21, 6:27am
when we purchased our new oven from a retailer they delivered the oven took the old one and rewired for us (year ago), the oven was also on special.

ryanm2, Jan 21, 9:22am
No doubt you would have gotten an ESC (electrical safety certificate) from the person who installed it. This contains info regarding who installed it, when and their rego number.

cantabman1, Jan 21, 6:48pm
You must NEVER wire the stove yourself!
If there was a fire, and the source was the stove, your insurance would be void!
Sometimes when installing a new one upgrades are required because either your old one didn't draw as much power,older wiring to be replaced etc.I'm am not a sparkie, but owned and operated an electrical appliance business for over ten years and saw this issue come up often.

johotech, Jan 22, 4:34am
Your statements are incorrect. Homeowners are allowed to connect and disconnect fixed wired appliances under ECP-51 and associated regulations.

sboydnz, Jan 22, 5:04am
Mariner26. Confused yet?

Yes you can.
No you can't.
yes you can.
no you can't.

Round & round we go.

johotech, Jan 22, 5:13am
Well the point is, that you are allowed to do it in your own home. But there are guidelines that need to be followed including having the tools and equipment to do it, as well as some basic skills & common sense required.

If you don't have those things, best to call a professional. Probably cost around $100 for some peace of mind.

loopy3, Jan 22, 7:04am
Don't forget to ask for the guys practicing licence when they disconnect the old stove, and make sure they give you a ESC

johotech, Jan 22, 7:35am
Disconnecting an appliance does not require an ESC.

ryanm2, Jan 22, 7:40am
Why wouldn't reconnecting a 230 volt fixed wired appliance not require an ESC? What does require an ESC then?

johotech, Jan 22, 7:44am
Disconnecting doesn't. Connecting does - only if it is fixed wired. If it is plug in, then it doesn't.

ryanm2, Jan 22, 7:48am
http://www.legislation.co.nz/regulation/public/2010/0036/latest/DLM5341136.html

I would have thought 74A (1AA) C means we have to.

ryanm2, Jan 22, 7:49am
Sorry - i misread the dis bit on disconnecting. It all comes clear when you read things twice.

johotech, Jan 22, 7:51am
Have to what? Supply ESC for disconnection?

Read 74A (2).
ESC only required when reconnected to supply. So it can never be required for any disconnection.

pengy2, Jan 22, 7:57am
So I need to get an ESC? just had new stove installed, major appliance company came and disconnected my old one, took it away and connected the new one. (fixed wired) I wasn't given any certificate!

johotech, Jan 22, 7:59am
I might have tricked you when I edited it. I did say connecting an appliance didn't require one. But if it is connected to installation wiring (not through a connector, or PC unit etc), then it does require an ECS. That would probably only ever apply to a freestanding range, where the old wiring was used.

So for example, disconnecting and reconnecting a hot water cylinder, where it is supplied by a flex from a permanent connection unit, does not require an ESC because the flex from the PC unit to the HWC is equipment wiring. ESCs only apply to installation wiring.

johotech, Jan 22, 8:03am
If the oven has a flexible cable and a plug, connecting to a socket on your wall, then no ESC is required. If you are sure it is connected to fixed wiring, then it does.

However, the work still needs to be done by a qualified person, and you can ask to see their registration card.

loopy3, Jan 22, 8:10am
your correct, I missed the part about connecting power for a ESC, however as they are removing the appliance and not replacing it,(and it is hard wired) it could be argued that a COC is required as it doesn't fall under the description of low risk work, bit of a grey area hey?
But all that aside I hope the OP checks for a practicing licence as that's still required either way

pengy2, Jan 22, 8:12am
Well this is a 70's house-had a longish thick cable coming out of the wall with a wooden cover on it on the wall. The stove was just reconnected to that-so it's a fixed wiring? There is a sep stove switch above the stove.

johotech, Jan 22, 8:13am
Sounds like it. White cable or black?

pengy2, Jan 22, 8:15am
white (grubby white last time I looked!) Actually there is one thick cable wire and one thinner one.

johotech, Jan 22, 8:23am
Grubby white cable is ok. What colour is the thinner one?

Should have had an ECS then. They have 20 working days after connection, to issue it. Fine of up to $10,000, for not issuing one (not paid to you of course).