New stove and installation

Page 2 / 2
pengy2, Jan 22, 8:27am
both cables white. Will ring the store tomorrow and check. Thank you for your help.

johotech, Jan 22, 8:30am
Probably fine. Person certifying it will know why there is a second cable as they connected it.

Possibly it is because it is on two phases and or two fuses. Very uncommon where I am, but apparently more common in the NI.

nzjay, Jan 22, 10:54am
There is more to it than all the above. Old stoves had sub fuses within the stove, usually 1 for the power outlets, 1 for the top elements, 1 for the oven etc. New stoves invariably don't.
This then changes the protection required on the Switch Board, which usually was a 30amp fuse to protect the range cable only, as the rest of the stove had it's own fusing. The protection now needs to protect ALL of the stove as well as the cable. I'm unclear about a Homeowner doing the work required on a switchboard without further inspection. Johotech may like to clarify this point.

cantabman1, Jan 22, 5:30pm
I still say you are best to have a qualified sparky do the work, and i bet two knobs to a piece of goat shit that if there was a fire, and you had wired it yourself, your insurance would be void.

russ18, Jan 22, 7:32pm
No you do not require ANY type of certification paperwork for stove replacement, not for disconnection or connection of the new one. Electrical Certificates of Compliance and Electrical Safety Certificates are for installation work which by definition excludes appliances and in a fixed appliance that exclusion includes the supply lead.

colin433, Jan 22, 11:23pm
We bought a house that had been built about 50 years ago and although we checked the wiring of one power switch, and it had white flex, some of the house still had the old black fabric covered flex. When we had some work done, the sparky said we could come home to a pile of charred wood and ash. Apparently the old wiring can cause a house fire in a very short time. We finished up having to have the whole house rewired because even the white flex was out of date and not 100% safe. Be safe and get the sparky to check it for you.
Another thing that had been done incorrectly was that a ceiling fan/light had been installed without an earth wire, making it VERY unsafe. I hope you don't have an expensive rewire ahead of you.
Mrs C

pengy2, Jan 22, 11:28pm
Rang store today-was told a special sticker should have been placed on back of the stove on installation, but there wasn't one, so they are sending a certificate or something to me. Sooner have one than not, just to be on safe side. So all good. Cheers.

imagine4, Jan 22, 11:32pm
I had new stove put in and the delivery guys re wired it but they were qualified to do it. if you do it or non qualified person does and it catches fire or something you are NOT covered by insurance. and you could be left homeless.

russ18, Jan 22, 11:42pm
The appliance stickers are completely optional, there is no requirement for them in regulations.

pengy2, Jan 23, 1:56am
Thank you for all advice. The store says they will send something so that will be fine, whether or not I need one. OP when I bought my stove, several places said I had to arrange an electrician to disconnect and to install. They had cards for recommended people and some charged to take the old stove away. Living rural this would have been an expensive and inconvenient option.I went with a well known store who not only gave a good price, but gave me an all up price including delivery, removal of old stove and installation.

johotech, Jan 23, 3:45am
Sorry I think you have it wrong there Russ.

ESCs are not just for installation work. Where ESR 74A refers to "installation" it means all the wiring within a property. i.e the installation, as a noun, not installation, as a verb.

For example, replacing a power point requires an ESC, but that is replacing, not installing.

So as I said above, if it is connected to the fixed wiring it requires an ESC. If it is plug in, it doesn't, because you are working only on the appliance and lead, not the installation wiring.

See Alec's comment here.
http://www.electricalforum.co.nz/index.php?action=more_detais&id=1420343452

johotech, Jan 23, 3:58am
Homeowners are not allowed to do any work on switchboards, other than replace fuse links.

Your comments about the 30 amp fuse are irrelevant. If 30 amp protection was correct for the circuit when it was installed, then it is probably still correct unless there have been other changes to the property.

However, you said "fuse" at the switchboard. If it was an old 30 amp rewirable fuse, I personally, would replace it with a circuit breaker when installing a new oven.

I don't think there is any regulation requiring it to be changed, but it is good practice. Rewirable fuses are not legal for new installations.

Most of the callouts for lines companies where properties lose power are caused by ranges on rewirable fuses having a fault, and blowing the main supply fuse.

russ18, Jan 23, 4:41am
"Installation" is a defined term in the ESRs, it refers you to the "Electrical Installation" definition in the act, ignore that if you want but it really is there in black & white.

johotech, Jan 23, 4:52am
Saying "installation work" infers installing something, not "installation" as per the definition.

Yes appliances are not part of the installation. But when they are connected to the installation wiring (a fixed connection), and you disconnect and reconnect, you are connecting to the installation wiring and it requires an ECS, but not a COC.

russ18, Jan 23, 6:13am
So if I was to say "appliance work" you would think I was appliancing something?

mariner26, Jan 23, 6:20am
What a great debate,
Anyway - new stove delivered today.
Registered electrician to wire up tomorrow.
I shall be most comfortable about having done things in that way.
And, the stove manual states that the stove must be connected via a plug to a (stove quality) wall plug. So the electrician is going to do all that too. Existing connection does not have a plug - merely a wall switch and heavy grade cable to stove.
I shall sleep sound when all is done.
Thanks for helpful advice.

johotech, Jan 23, 6:29am
that would be silly.

russ18, Jan 23, 7:34am
My point exactly.

cantabman1, Sep 10, 9:17am
GOOD ON YA MATE!