Anyone remember poster re painting deck?

wendalls, Oct 31, 12:07pm
A few years back a guy who "stains" decks for a living posted his method of doing it which involved painting a wet deck with a thin coat to achieve a stained look. I have always wanted to try this but it's taken me awhile pondering over it, cleaning the grooves full of crap and worrying over if it would work. I have done one small deck which although a bit uneven I am quite happy with. Ideally I would want to see how it will wear through sun and rain before doing my large deck. From what I read, applying to wet timber is a total no no in the painting world so it's rather risky. However I think that thick layers of paint peeling off is the main issue which I mightn't have as my application is thin. Also the deck is not in good shape so getting rid of it will be the result if it turns to custard.
Can anyone remember the thread and what sort of paint he may have specified? Or have any negative comments for me for being so adventurous or stupid?

woody89, Oct 31, 12:32pm
I do remember the thread but not the finer points or the poster. As far as I recall it was onto a cleaned deck, wet with the hose & apply an acrylic paint- I doubt brand is overly important. I don't think there'd be much issue with sun & rain since it's usually thick layers of paint that peel or chip. Presumably you could repeat the process if it faded or wore. I think you have the perfect opportunity to try it out & if unhappy with it, what have you lost since as you say deck isn't the best & would be replaced anyway. Only query I have is, why is wet painting for a stained look, better than, well, a water based stain? Which I have used & been very happy with- both applying it & longevity after.

wendalls, Oct 31, 7:55pm
Thanks. I have heard a few stories of stain not lasting long and it is around a pool. I know some people have stories of adding Tung oil and it lasting. The guy said it lasted years and years and I didn't want to spend a fortune on something we may rip up in 2 or 3 years. I am expecting a 4 litre tin of paint to get round the whole thing with leftovers for touch ups. We have huge areas of deck. It has been a nightmare cleaning it and I'd rather not do it again, although I will now be more onto it with preventative measures before each winter I think. I was just worrying about the paint type due to my inexperience. It was sold to me as waterbased but i have just read the can and it says 100 % acrylic resin base with waterborne colour or some such thing. it's resent lumbersider.

woody89, Feb 22, 12:14pm
Keen to have an update when you've done it, pictures would be great & any tips or tricks you come up with! Resene Lumbersider should be fine, pretty sure any paint that washes up with water would be fine.