Low growing hedging ideas for formal double hedge

dollydot, May 5, 1:35pm
We're planting a double hedge at the front of our property after removing large overgrown shrubs. So far have planted a line of Corokia Geenty's Green for the back row. Looking for something as a contrast for the front. Orange or white flowers or berries would be great but considering anything really. Preferably native as needs to be hardy. Have used lavender before but find it's not a long lasting hedge as goes leggy. Quite like lophomyrtus. Will need to be kept low like 50-60cms and will be closely planted in formal hedge style. Not sure about grasses as they can look messy. Also considering lonicera although won't b a contrast colour and I understand it needs very frequent trimming. We already have box and love it but don't want to risk the disease hitting it. Westringia grey box is also nice. Anyone done this recently?

dibble35, May 5, 1:37pm
Euonymus - nice dark green against the geentys green.

lakeview3, May 5, 1:48pm
Lonicera grows too quickly IMO. I would try a coprosma if you want a native and good contrast.

beebb3, May 5, 1:54pm
Maybe Teucrium Fruiticans if you want the grey contrast, or perhaps some of the Escallonia family, they have nice green shiney leaves and come in white, rose, and cerise flowers. Both of these varieties are hardy too.

dollydot, May 5, 2:43pm
Nice ideas, thanks for those. I didn't know escallonia was available with a white flower, looks good. Love the rainbow coprosma too, we've planted that before, very attractive but got a bit leggy but we may have been a bit slow with the shaping.

dollydot, May 5, 5:39pm
Just realised one of our choices lophomyrtus (red dragon) is not grown by a lot of nurseries now due to myrtle rust. Not available at our local one so that's out.

maclad, May 5, 5:48pm
I like the idea of Lonicera, the yellow form. It grows well, easy to trim and very obliging, it always comes back even with a hard prune. Teucrium is good too but grows faster and takes more trimming, lovely blue flowers.

dollydot, May 8, 11:24am
We decided to go with Teucrium in the end as no green Lonicera available at the nursery that has the best local prices and the yellow is not quite right for the other colours of house etc. All planted now 52 in all, Corokia Geentys green at back and Teucrium at the front. So much tidier now than the overgrown shrubs that ere there before. On Google maps you couldn't see or house except for the top of the top level, now much more open. Our living areas face the back so no issues with privacy too.

j96, May 8, 8:32pm
we had teucrium at our house before this one, i really like it. I does grow really quickly but it super quick and easy to trim

jenny791, May 9, 8:13pm
Have planted lonicera, and found it grows dense and fast. Looks very attractive, and is quite hardy.would use it again for low hedges.

dollydot, May 10, 7:24pm
That's good to hear j96. Fast growing is great as we want it to establish quicky. It's an unusual shrub but the silver colour is great and it seems to shape up well after trimming.

dollydot, Nov 12, 10:12am
I like Lonicera too and am going to see where else I can use it. Next project is to plant two variegated Lonicera in pots and train into ball shapes. The 2 Westringia Grey Box I had in the pots previously are not looking too happy as think they like more sun than they are getting. being Aussies etc!