Insulating detached garage/workshop

markv1, Aug 27, 8:27am
Just wondering whether it is still worthwhile insulating and lining the walls of a detached garage/workshop if not doing the ceiling of the garage? Thinking of earthwool for the insulation and ply for the lining.

pisces47, Aug 27, 9:36am
Basic answer but heat rises so you get heat lost through the roof. Insulating the walls and lining them will help with heat loss and will look a lot better. You will need a mathematician to calculate benefits and losses.

daryl14, Aug 27, 7:58pm
Lined my versatile garage/workshop with batts and 9mm plywood. Love it. Always dry and warm in there.

golfaholic2, Aug 27, 8:14pm
Throwing away good money IMO . but , someone might insulate the ceiling at a later date , so ya could say you were future proofing it

zak410, Aug 27, 8:18pm
Any building paper in the walls ?

markv1, Aug 27, 10:25pm
Yes, building paper in the walls and ceiling

zak410, Aug 28, 9:33am
All good then.

amelda, Aug 28, 12:08pm
we did this and it was chillyyyyy in winter? No different inside from outside. . It will be cold in there no matter what you do, but insulating could help. I'd suggest sticking carpet on the roof if you don't mind the look and the floors were a major source of cold being on a concrete pad. It's a costly exercise and in all honesty if you want someone to live in it it's pretty average living conditions in winter. I lived like that for a few years in ours only because it was cheaper than living in the house.

amelda, Aug 28, 12:09pm
Ps. We did line and batt the ceiling. Still freezing

martin11, Aug 28, 3:49pm
Floors in detached garages most times do not have DPC under the slab which allows cold and damp to come up into the garage .
You can paint the floor and it may help .

briantamaki-god, Sep 30, 11:57pm
painting wont help there is no thermal break with paint
i lined and batted my shed with a 3metre stud ended up leaving the trusses exposed for storage
still cold but a quick squirt with a gas industrial heater takes the chill off
led troffer lights make it daylight in there
i used cover sheets of flooring 3.6x1.8 so had a full sheet with a 10mm gap at bottom to top plate and batts from demoed red zoned house makes it so much tidier well you cant see the batts but i now they are in there also
insulated the sectional door with poly sheet and corflute rtv to keep it in place after a few months found the coreflute crept a bit for under half the price of the expol kit
just wound up the door springs 1/4 turn each