Best way to ripen peaches

fendie, Mar 11, 8:04pm
I have just done a semi strip pick of my Black Boy peaches here in Christchurch. They were beginning to drop and windfall peaches aren't too good, ( I do use them ) They are all sitting on a large table outside, it is under cover but certainly not inside. It is getting quite cold outside. Should I cover them ? Bring them inside ? put them in plastic bags? that would encourage the rot wouldn't it ! they usually have no brown rot but they have a bit this year. I would like to ripen them gently, and they do ripen in the kitchen, but we are talking about a couple of bucket-fulls if not more. any advice ?

peoplespace, Mar 11, 8:47pm
We picked ours today, and have jars of jam cooling on the bench and m a couple more buckets of peaches ready to turn into chutney.

Peaches do not increase in flavour once picked, so sort out the most ripe ones for eating now, then use the others for pulp, jam, chutney etc.

If they are ripe they will have no green undertone, will feel tender rather than hard, and will have that lovely strong peach scent.

If they aren't quite ripe, you can increase the softness, juiciness and the colour over a few days, by putting them in a warm enclosed spot with an apple or kiwifruit to help with producing the gas ethene, but the flavour and sweetness will not improve.
Check them every day or they might go too far and rot or get old and floury in texture.

tigger8, Mar 12, 9:06am
fendie , can I have some of the stones out of your black boy peaches please?

fendie, Mar 12, 9:58am
tigger8 yes sure, do you have someone in Christchurch who could pick them up ?

tigger8, Mar 12, 11:20pm
fendie I will be in ChCh 24/25 this month can pick up then

fendie, Mar 13, 8:37pm
Well BOTHER , I won't be here that weekend. Is there some where that I can take them and leave them ? I'm in Riccarton and no money involved, haven't cost me anything.

tigger8, Mar 14, 8:32am
:( if you could drop off at the Black Horse Hotel lincoln road with the name Ian
(brother) on would be muchly appreciated , thanks

fendie, Mar 14, 11:04am
OK that's fine, I'll wait until I have a few more stones and do that for you. cheers

fendie, Mar 16, 1:40pm
Just discovered that we are back on Saturday 24th, which is good as the stones are wet, I've been trying to dry them but if left in a plastic bag for a week at the Black Horse I think they would have gone mouldy. so ring me on 027 689 8705 later on the 24th or on 25th and we can arrange picking them up.

tigger8, Dec 6, 3:51pm
will do , thank you very much