Punching a 'soft spot' out of concrete sump box?

tegretol, Jan 22, 8:58pm
The box is a Hume product 450x450x1200 and has a range of different pipe diameter 'soft spots' cast into the walls where the concrete is only half as thick than the rest of it (50mm/25mm). Question is how to get one of these out without smashing the wall? Humes Sales said "Ah smash it out with a hammer and if it's too big then plug it back up with Hume-Bond" but somehow I reckon that's a Fulton Hogan trick and one that might result in a smashed box. I actually do plan to glue the 150mm plastic outlet pipe into it with Hume-Bond, a good product.

Has anyone ever whacked one of these thin sections out with a hammer?

zak410, Jan 22, 9:18pm
I haven't done it, but I would try with a small (~20mm?) cold chisel and hammer and go around until it breaks. or hit it with the hammer from the 'outside'.

omamari, Jan 23, 5:38am
I haven't either, but you can buy a diamond cutting blade for your grinder for less than $15 these days. I'd use that

reb53, Jan 23, 8:22am
Yep, diamond blade for your angle grinder from Mega10.
Knife through butter.

ebygum1, Jan 23, 8:26am
Ball pein hammer and tidy it up with a cold chisel, will come out nice and easy.

budgel, Jan 7, 1:07pm
Drill a hole through it with a large masonry bit, then break it in towards the centre of the hole, or drill lots of smaller holes to break it out like a postage stamp. Hume bond is probably the best thing for the job of patching. The smaller the patches the better.