Painting ceiling

lindi4, Mar 22, 2:20pm
Im painting ceilings and then I will use a sealer on the walls which have wallpaper on them. The edge between the ceiling and the wall is really rough due to a bad trim along the waallpaper edge. Is is alright to take the ceiling paint just below the line were wallpaper on the wall meets ceiling. Or will it be wrong for when I seal the walls before painting.

sprinter51, Mar 22, 3:35pm
Undercoat it
skim it
sand it
seal it
undercoat it
painted it

If a job is worth doing, do it right FIRST time

lindi4, Mar 22, 4:08pm
Is that the procedure for painting over wallpaper?

zak410, Mar 22, 5:51pm
I say it is, and I agree.

Before sealing though just use some pva glue to fix lose bits of wallpaper if any, on the seams, along architraves or skirting boards.

If a couple of 'bubbles' appear while you are sealing the walls, mark them, cut them off with sharp knife when dry, and patch with plaster type.

If many bubbles appear while you're sealing the wall, stop, it's time to strip the walls. good luck.

johotech, Mar 23, 3:39pm
No it's not. It's the procedure for doing the walls AFTER you have stripped the wallpaper.

If you just want to paint over the wallpaaper, use an oil based sealer like pigmented sealer (cheapest), or a specific wallpaper sealer. Then water based undercoat (if it needs better coverage because of the wallpaper showing through), and water based top coats.

As for the edges, they can be trimmed, or seal with no more gaps if needed. And no more gaps can be used to stick down any paper edges as well.

johotech, Mar 23, 3:41pm
If you use an oil based sealer, it is much less likely to bubble, if at all.

zak410, Dec 5, 6:56pm
If you decide to remove the wall paper, make sure the gib joints have been taped; if not it needs done prior to prepping/decorating.

Also it make sense to get the ceiling and walls ready for painting at the same time.

That would fix your wall/ceiling junction problem, and would avoid damaging your newly painted ceiling when preparing the walls.