McGregor's Pansy Seeds

taurus2005, Nov 3, 4:05pm
My little granddaughters gave me a pkt of McGregors' pansy seeds so we could sow them in the garden together. This came in the form of the main pkt, then another foil pkt and inside that another little plastic pkt containing 18 tiny seeds. Less packaging a few more seeds would have been much appreciated. Very disappointing.

annies3, Nov 3, 4:41pm
I would be very disappointed as well ! I just opened a packet of Yates Giant supreme pansy seeds and like you the outside pkt then the foil but unlike yours there are 170 seeds in the foil pkt, I would contact the company and complain, thats a total rip off unless they are stud seeds LOL

paora-tm, Nov 3, 8:12pm

annies3, Nov 4, 9:25am
I only counted ours because of the number in the op packet, what does it matter ? hers is a rip off, and probably a mistake which the company would rectify if they knew !
Yes they are difficult to see eighteen would hardly be visible.

oh_hunnihunni, Nov 4, 10:19am
Did you contact McGregors?

taurus2005, Nov 5, 8:27am
Yes I have sent them a message through their website.

colin433, Nov 5, 8:11pm
I have bought pansy seeds in the past and have been disappointed with the number of seeds.
I also find they are notoriously difficult to grow from seed. I bought some on here, made two sowings, not a plant to be seen.
Yet, having bought a punnet or two, they seem to self seed quite happily.
Obviously i'm not holding my mouth right, as the saying goes
Mrs C

taurus2005, Nov 6, 10:45am
I bought a packet of their cucumber seeds last year and got 7 seeds. When I messaged them then, they did not reply at all. They have replied this time and are sending me a replacement packet.

annies3, Nov 6, 1:26pm
Well done ! at a guess I would say the seeds are packed mechanically so maybe there are oportunities for mistakes to happen.

paora-tm, Nov 6, 9:16pm
I sowed a packet of pansy seeds (could have been McGregors - I often buy Warehouse seeds). I either had a bad germination percentage or I also didn't receive as many seeds as stated on the packet. I managed to get around 20 plants. I also recently sowed a Warehouse brand packet of Wild Flower and a packet of Cottage Garden seeds. Both packets had me wondering if they did have the 300+ seeds they should have had. Anyway it looks like I got a perfect strike - 600 seedlings growing in two 70x40cm seed trays. Was hoping to pick out the ones I want and discard the rest - if only I knew how to identity the ones I want. lol

dollydot, Nov 11, 4:00pm
Often it will say how many seeds are in the packet. I purchased sunflower seeds recently and there were only about 12 in the packet but it did say on the front.

eigna, Jan 20, 4:44pm
I would say it depends on whether they are hybrid seeds or open pollinated seeds. For hybrids you only get a fraction of the seeds that you do with others.