Early Girl tomato

korbo, Jan 8, 8:18pm
Just picked my first tomato off the plant.
Mmmmm, it was so sweet and tasty.
Now to remember the name for next year.

davidt4, Jan 8, 9:12pm
It’s a fantastic variety isn’t it. We grew Earlygirl for the first time last season and this year they are looking even better despite the erratic rains.

veejay13, Jan 9, 8:54am
I've grown an Earlygirl tomato for the first time this year. It really is early, with lovely big sweet fruit. I'll certainly be getting it again next year.

sinclairsouth, Jan 9, 10:09am
I have been growing this tomato for a few seasons now and always have fruit ready for picking prior to Christmas. This season has been exceptional and I started picking my Early Girl tomatoes in the first week of December. I am in Invercargill and I grow my tomatoes in a tunnel house which has been hitting temperatures over 100 degrees even with everything opened wide. My Early Girl are starting to taper off a little bit now but my late crops are producing several ripe tomatoes every day. Glad that you fellow gardeners have discovered this lovely tomato, I have been expounding its qualities but a lot of the Potentate etc regulars don't take any notice.

krames, Jan 9, 12:10pm
100 deg?F

sinclairsouth, Jan 9, 4:34pm
Yep ! Crikey - 100 degrees Celcius would wipe out the plants plus the tunnel house.
Apparently according to the local manufacturer of the tunnel houses the plastic in their construction makes for greater heat than glass houses.

5425, Jan 9, 4:51pm
Do the growing tips seem to be gathering/tightening together , which I am told is due to the range of different temp's , day and night.?

sinclairsouth, Jan 10, 10:21am
Not a problem with my plants. As a point of interest I have installed a soaker hose around the ceiling of my tunnel house (as opposed to it lying on the ground) and leave this turned on for a decent period of time every morning before the heat sets in. This gives everything a decent soaking equivalent to a good shower of rain overhead. I frankly could not be bothered with holding a hose and watering by hand so this method suits me 'down to the ground' so to speak.

lythande1, Jan 15, 1:18am
Haven't found them that nice, prefer Sweet Delight.