De ice a freezer ?

Page 1 / 2
stickman100, Aug 9, 8:34pm
OK it's time to remove ice from my freezer how do you guys do it?

melford, Aug 9, 8:38pm
I turn power off and place buckets of boiling water in it - let sit for an hour then wipe it out with towels

mtbotrev, Aug 9, 8:43pm
When we had chest freezer I just attacked it with thick wooden spatula and plastic dust pan. with googles on.

scottea, Aug 9, 8:55pm
Same only l used just off the boil water and in a baking tin on each shelf. Shut the door and use beach towels to dry the body of the freezer and tea-towels for the walls of the freezer.

articferrit, Aug 9, 8:59pm
Roasting dishes full of boiling water and a big screwdriver to get the ice off in the biggest size pieces I can, and use a plastic dust pan for the stuff in the bottom of the freezer.

strathview, Aug 9, 9:26pm
Turn off and let sit for a bit. Then get my hair dryer onto it. It comes off in big chunks.

lythande1, Aug 10, 8:44am
I use a hair dryer and a plastic scraper.
Takes about 15 mins.

harrislucinda, Aug 10, 8:45am
same after turning off for a few hrs easy

dibble35, Aug 10, 11:02am
Hair dryer and a big flexible knife, One of my work mates told me to wipe oil on the walls, bottom, top of the defrosted freezer and it wont ice up again. Tried this about 1 month ago on home freezer, so far so good, did it on the work freezer as well beginning of winter and thats still looking good to.

samanya, Aug 10, 12:33pm
I've used glycerine before & from memory it still iced up a bit, but it was very easy to remove.

gsimpson, Aug 10, 1:26pm
Always best to avoid scrapers if you can and let the ice melt to reduce the risk of mechanical damage to freezer.
Had a woman ring and ask if freezers had gas in them. I asked if she had used a sharp knife to chip ice. Yes. Could I fix it? Sorry, no.

harrislucinda, Aug 10, 3:52pm
yes wondering about #5 using a screwdriver

kew, Aug 10, 5:36pm
I have in the past, taken everything out and put on the bench and put a couple of towels it, then wheeled the freezer outside and hosed it out. Then dry it with a towel, wheeled it back inside and put the food back in. Whole exercise takes less than 10 minutes.

strathview, Aug 10, 5:51pm
Oh to have a little freezer

sr2, Aug 10, 8:48pm
A wee bit of physics 101 here.

To melt the ice you need heat not temperature. Heat is energy (i.e. temp x a materials specific heat value) whereas temp is simply how hot something is.

The easiest way to defrost your freezer is to blow large amounts of ambient room temperature air into it with a pedestal fan. Although the temperature differential is far less than a hair dryer or a roasting dish of hot water the amount of heat (i.e. energy) will be far greater.

Give it a go, you'll be surprised by the results.

planespotterhvn, Aug 10, 9:04pm
A beer stubbie used to pour warm water from a bucket over the fins and coils, and a wet and dry vacuum cleaner to suck it straight back out again.
Avoid using scrapers and force as you can damage delicate parts.
Sometimes the back panel of the freezer needs to be removed for accessing the evaporator fins and coils.

ianab, Aug 10, 10:19pm
Chuck the contents into a chilli bin or boxes with some blankets over them so they stay frozen from an hour or so.

Then I bust out the Bosch hot air gun (hairdryer on steroids) and start waving it at the freezer. Don't cook any one part too much so you scorch it, just try and get the freezer walls warmed up a little, so the ice falls off them easily. Chip away with a plastic spatula. As you remove chunks of ice with no real force. Then you can warm up more of the walls, and get more chunks off.

But don't try directly melting the ice, that will take all day. Just warm the walls to over 0c, so the ice falls off. Then throw that in the sink to melt in it's own good time.

kevymtnz, Aug 10, 10:46pm
WOW people , turn it off come back 6 hrs later empty ice clean done = simple

sr2, Aug 10, 11:23pm
Sssh. stop being sensible.

tegretol, Aug 11, 5:47am
Put a new door seal on and you won't have to defrost it.

kew, Aug 11, 9:49am
It was actually one of the larger chest freezers. When I said wheeled it out, I meant using a hand trolley.

jan2242, Aug 11, 10:25am
Glycerine. Wiped all over after it is clean. Will make it so much faster to de ice next time.

elect70, Aug 11, 4:34pm
If use hot water make sure you let it cool down to room temp before turning on. The compressor doesnt like hi temp /pressure . Many fail afterwards .

dibble35, Aug 11, 5:09pm
But doesnt all your food defrost in the meantime. mine would

supernova2, Aug 11, 8:58pm
Elderly mate of ours decided to use his leaf blower to defrost his freezer. Sounds good so far. Oops it was a 2stroke and filled his house with oily smoke. Freezer defrosted though!