Tinted Windows?

beebb3, Apr 23, 2:57pm
Am considering replacing some windows with double glazing. The area gets all afternoon sun, which is lovely, but should I get them tinted? What are the pros and cons please.
At present with the existing windows - just have the micro venetians on a slight angle so as to combat fading etc. Would I still need the blinds if the windows are tinted? How much sun do they really keep out?
Guessing tinted will be way more expensive, would appreciate your advice and any suggestions please?
Can you recommend a good company to deal with?

gaimon, Apr 27, 12:34pm
We moved to a townhouse with tinted windows and I don't like them at all. The rooms are very are very dark and on an overcast day we need the lights on.
Good luck whatever you decide.

annies3, Apr 27, 6:52pm
There are several shades of tinted glass so there is no need to be very dark,
it is possible to have some of the glass tinted and other clear as well, it does stop damage to furnishings, as for venetians they have there place I suppose but I hate cleaning them, and they do get dirty.

golfdiver, Apr 27, 6:57pm
Not sure it does stop damage to furniture. You need something else for that

meoldchina, Apr 27, 7:00pm
One side effect of tinted windows is that birds fly into them . and die. At our old house I thought the cat was responsible for all the dead birds, but then I realised that I kept hearing loud bangs and this was the birds, including kereru and tui, flying into the glass because it reflected the sky and clouds and they thought they could fly through it.

beebb3, Apr 27, 8:58pm
Appreciate all your input everybody. Hmmmmmm. May just keep them normal. Gotta be either one or the other I guess. Will make further enquiries through some window companies. Cheers

timbo69, Apr 27, 9:48pm
We have tinted windows - love them. Never had a bird flt into them, It dosent stop sun damage to carpet/furniture etc, the light coming in from the sun isnt reduced by them. the privacy during the day is great - can walk around in my undies :-)

Tinting new joinery is cheap compared to doing it after - we have a lot of windows/sliders etc (400sq/m+ house) it was a $1200 upgrade 6 months ago.

lakeview3, Apr 27, 10:06pm
if you want to combat fading go for laminated safety glass for one of the panes of glass in your double glaze unit. I would go for the outer pane as it also is stronger and harder to break. Laminate repels 98% of UV due to the refraction because of the plastic sheet inside the laminate. I would forget the tinting.

golfdiver, Apr 27, 10:48pm
We used to have clear glass. Birds were always hitting the windows. Have tinted in our new one, not a single bird strike in 8 years

lakeview3, Nov 19, 4:07pm
but lots of fading on your furnishings. good one! I think we might have had 1 bird strike here in 8 years. no tints. More birds, no cats.