Weatherboard question.

aredwood, Dec 29, 12:11am
I need to buy some new weatherboards, but I can't seem to find any that fit what my house has. It has bevelback profile, and between 170mm and 180mm between the exposed edges. And thickness is 20mm. I see 185mm wide weatherboards for sale on here. But surely they haven't been installed with only 5mm overlap in places?

Project is removing a window and boarding up the hole. Haven't removed the window yet, so can't yet measure end on. House was built in 1969, so could be either imperial or metric profile and measurements. Any idea what size my house would have? Or do I need to remove the window first, and then see what size I need.

aprilguy, Dec 29, 6:24am
Non builder here, but I have removed and replaced windows. I suggest measuring the weatherboards end-on somewhere else on your house. Look around for a spot where you can expose the entire end of a board; it might not require the removal of a whole window. It would be nice to find a source for the right boards before you have a hole to fill.

wasgonna, Dec 29, 7:26am
If the house was built in 1969 the power meter would be through the weatherboards (unless someone has moved it), so could measure there.

boar, Dec 29, 7:43am
If you've got between 170mm and 180mm between the exposed edges you will need 30mm lap minimum making the board 210mm wide, good luck.

happychappy50, Dec 29, 7:49am
Remove the architrave/scribing from around the window,will expose the weather board to get an accurate measurement . good luck

martin11, Dec 29, 7:56am
25mm is the standard lap on weatherboard with a grove and at the age of the house it would most likely be imperial . Could be a problem to get it is possibly the old 9"weatherboard .
New metric ones will be slightly thinner and narrower . Pack out with malthoid .

trade4us2, Dec 29, 9:26am
Why remove the window? Just screw some plywood over the inside.
Somebody might want a window there again one day.

ebygum1, Dec 29, 4:43pm
x Wrong, the lap required is 30mm to meet the N.Z standard. 9 x 1 bevelback is still available, but not cheap. South Pacific Timber and Steven Henderson at Te Kuiti will have it. I have 188 x 18 in stock but nothing wider. Good Luck

aredwood, Jan 20, 5:48am
Thanks for the replies everyone. Had a look through the South pacific Timber catalogue. Looks like their bevel back 225 is the one I need. Also helps that their boards are 19mm instead of 18mm thick.

Reason for removing the window, it is on the southern side of a corner bedroom. It needs repainting, new hardware, and the window doesn't align properly in the frame. So I will be either removing it or replacing with a complete double glazed window.

That room also has bigger windows that face west and get lots of sun and have by far a better view. So my line of thinking - it is cheaper to remove the window, than replace with a double glazed window. Also my understanding is that a wall without a window still has better insulating value than even a double glazed window.