Peony plants

korbo, Dec 28, 4:19pm
wonderin what to do with peony plant, it has stoped flowering. do I cut it back

maclad, Dec 28, 4:33pm
I would let it die down naturally

korbo, Dec 29, 5:46pm
New to these plants, there are no flowers on it, how long before it may die

maclad, Dec 29, 5:47pm
It probably won't "die" but may die down for the winter, so perhaps a few months.

colin433, Dec 29, 6:23pm
when I had some growing I put some stakes around the plants so I didn't dig around them when they died down in the winter.
They take a couple of years to come into bloom, and absolutely hate to be moved. Never be kind and offer some to someone, they will probably sulk for at least a year if you disturb them.
Not sure how quickly they multiply, we sold the house and left the plants in the garden

harrislucinda, Dec 29, 7:11pm
dont like manure follow as above

strathview, Dec 29, 10:01pm
Gosh I'm doing it wrong. I moved mine from our old house into pots and they flowered then at the new place I popped them in a temporary spot and they flowered and then I planted them in their permanent spot and they flowered. Split some of them up too as they were quite big. I never bother cutting them back just let them die back.

samanya, Dec 30, 10:21am
I cut the spent flower heads off . whether that's right or wrong, I don't know.
I figure that it saves them from putting their growing energy into making seeds.

colin433, Dec 30, 4:35pm
well, I'm only passing on what I was told, maybe you have exceptional green fingers ANd thunbs

rainrain1, Dec 30, 5:36pm
They like our climate :-)

meetee, Dec 31, 12:17pm
It is the old type of paeonies that didn't like to be moved or split up. The new varieties are okay and will flower again quickly.

colin433, Dec 31, 12:18pm
thank you for that, I've only known the old type, didn't know there was a newer one

malcovy, Dec 31, 1:34pm
Love it and ditto!

strathview, Jan 18, 6:47pm
Oh gosh I'm still obviously doing something wrong. Some of my peonies were already in my garden when we purchased the old house 29 years ago and a neighbour said they were beauties so that would make them over 40 years old. Is that the old type? A really deep red crimson colour with heaps of petals. Got some new ones too for gifts over recent years some have perfume and they also flower. Got my Mothers tree peony a nice yellow, it would never flower for her and yet went crazy for me. Moved that too and just heeled it in and it has flowered too. Must be my green fingers or just total neglect on my part because I just put them in the ground. In saying that I have managed to lose four dogwoods. Thought those shrubs were tough as.