Safe DIY casing for a benchtop overn.

hesian, Jan 28, 3:09pm
Following recommendations on general I am going to install a benchtop oven in an outside flatlet.

They apparently get quite hot and I wondered if any DIY people here have any suggestions for a material I could attach either under a wall cabinet above the bench or totally around it if I site it to the side to help with safety.

tweake, Jan 28, 3:16pm
they need air flow.
its not just about protecting the cabinets but also letting the cooker remain cool enough. if you trap the heat in by fitting high temp panels close around it, it could overheat the wiring etc inside the oven.

hesian, Jan 28, 4:02pm
Right. Maybe then just something under the cabinet above which would still leave an air flow gap and nothing on the sides. I have seen people with microwaves sitting on top of oven and cant help thinking that isnt a good idea.

tweake, Jan 28, 4:30pm
microwaves on top of built in oven is often done from the manufacture. if you take off the trim you see they have an air gap built around it. sometimes with air vents along the top.
have seen some kitchen designs have a shorter cabinet above it so it has a chimney up the back for the hot air to escape.
also keep in mind where the cables go.

wembley1, Jan 28, 6:35pm
Maybe I'm being a bit dense, but wouldn't following the manufacturer's installation instructions be a good start?

carter19, Jan 29, 11:58am
If it was me, I would put a couple of floor tiles under it.

samsnan, Jan 29, 2:34pm
Carter that's what I do also.

kacy5, Jan 30, 8:25pm
Thank you, been wondering what to put under one I am getting and never thought of tiles.

bassmo1, Jan 4, 1:43am
Heat rises, I have one of these ovens which is stored under a cupboard on the bench, when I need to use it I pull it out to the front of the bench so that the underneath of the cupboard doesn't get too hot. In our last house, we put up a hardwood shelf on the wall and it sat on that with tiles on the wall at the back of it, it had nothing above it there. In my next house, it will be on the stainless steel benchtop underneath a shelf housing the microwave, but it's far enough from that shelf for it not to be a problem. Really useful things.