Pleaching hedge assistance!

justdelite, Nov 1, 5:30pm
Help, does anyone have any thoughts on the below trees for a pleaching hedge? Ficus Tuffi/hilli / Evergreen Alder / Titoki I'm getting confused - we are in central Auckland

ruie, Nov 1, 6:47pm
Hi justdelite . we have a hedge of 7 pleached Evergreen Alders, spaced about 2 metres apart. They are very quick growing & once established, we trimmed the lower branches off them. They are very lush & make a great looking hedge but do require a lot of regular trimming.
If we were to do this exercise again, we would look at the Ficus Tuffi or Hillii as they are slower growing.

piquant, Nov 2, 7:48am
A lot would depend upon whether of not you are going to actually pleach your trees or if you are going to take the cheats way out and make it look as if it is pleached! There is a hell of a lot of work involved in pleaching properly. Believe me - I know!
Most people I have spoken to about pleaching in NZ seem to think that it is just a matter of cutting the trees to look like a hedge on stilts - and that, I have to say, is probably what you are considering. Traditionally, hornbeam, English beech and tilia's (limes) are the usual candidates for pleaching but a lot of people in this part of the world don't care for the way the old leaves stay on the branches (with beech and hornbeam anyway) until the new leaves appear. Part of the attraction of doing hedges with traditional, deciduous trees is the structure that is evident in winter. You just don't get that form when you simply create a "box" cut.

justdelite, Nov 2, 6:39pm
Hmmm such interesting comments I had gone in today to buy Ficus Hilli but didn't like how 'weepy' they are so left very confused. Yes Piquant we are going to shape them so they behave like pleached trees. Although I might read each some of your options above now.

piquant, Nov 2, 9:20pm
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/669732924.jpg These are Hornbeams - a contract grow we did for advanced grade trees. Made all the more interesting by the fact they had to be transported to site rather than grown in situ. https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/669738730.jpg
Wintertime and waiting for the trucks to pick them up. What a job!

justdelite, Nov 3, 5:27pm
Woah what a job is an understatement

mark_g, Nov 3, 7:02pm
Have to agree. Who could afford that amount of effort and expertise. Would have to be rich, or a company investing in the aesthetics surrounding their business.

On the plus side - I'd be happy as hell if someone was paying me to produce something like that. Bliss! (so long as the wages were enough to live on).

kohekohe1, Nov 6, 9:15pm
i think you mean pollarding not pleaching - google the difference

piquant, Feb 18, 11:42am
What makes you say that, kohekohe1? The two are quite different. I can't see anything in the conversation so far that goes anywhere near pollarding.