DIY Question on Tiling.

neville48, Oct 30, 10:21pm
Can I ceramic type tile over vinyl on the floor. I am worried if I strip the vinyl up it will tear the particle board apart and make a big mess. The vinyl is in good nick and laid solid, no bubbles, loose spots etc. Can I sand it or just lay straight on it or ? please.

happychappy50, Oct 30, 10:30pm
Not advisable over vinyl,the glue won’t stick,lay some 4.5 mm hardies cement sheet,use ring shank clouts & liquid nails then tile over the top of that,seen too many failures with anything different,imo you would be wasting your time,nail every 300mm.Movement is the biggest killer with tiles,grout let’s go & tiles will crack & or get drummy.Save yourself by doing it right

hammer23, Oct 31, 4:51pm
See above,tick tick tick and that is the best bit of advise you will ever get for free.

sanders4, Oct 31, 8:47pm
New glues are fine to lay tiles over sound vinyl - your local tile shop will be the best for advice. Have never had a failure in over 20 years commercial tiling myself.

neville48, Nov 1, 6:50pm
Have a pot of Cemix Super Primer. If I was to go with #4. ,1 and 2 I am really worried about the damage to the underfloor if I take up the vinyl that is on there now, Our bathroom is the size of a bedroom, old house, but with the primer, the chap laying the tiles reckons the primers and glue these days is good to go. should I sand the surface of the vinyl for extra mechanical bond. Cemix Super Primer. any more comments welcome as I am still only at 60% ?

hammer23, Nov 1, 9:21pm
Don't take up the vinyl jast lay the hardies over the existing vinyl and nail the bsd down. Gluing on to something that is already glued down is a bad trade practice and I wouldn't even go there.

cagivachick1, Nov 3, 7:43pm
this lady has the best advice, i have glued tiles to vinyl but only under special circumstances, BUT if its a old house make shure there is no movement in the floor, movement kills tiled floors

sanders4, Feb 20, 9:06pm
Just talk to your local tile shop - they have the products, knowledge and experience with modern glues.