Ahhhhh Triffids - no pumpkins.

nruter, Dec 25, 12:29pm
Have pumpkins come up out of the lesser compost bin. Usually leave them to have their way on the fence, neighbours enjoy the pumpkins.

However, this year, have let too many plants have their way and am wondering if I can chop off some of the wayward tendrils which seem to be getting more and more each day.
Did notice this morning two little 'fruitlings' on the end of one of the tendrils - so maybe . . . .

Comments, please.

mark_g, Dec 27, 3:27pm
You can chop any bit of the plant, no problem unless the plant is weak.

My normal practise with these types of vines (pumpkin, kamo kamo etc.) is to pinch out the growing tip when I see female flowers (with the fruitlet you mention) forming on that part of the vine. I believe this puts energy into the developing the fruit (personal belief - not established fact). And I am very sure (established fact) that this encourages more side shoots which will lead to the possibility of more fruit.

PS: If you have two pumpkin form fairly close together on the same vine/branch/lateral then unless the vine is spectacularly vigorous, it is usually better to remove the weaker looking fruit and let the vine put its energy into the other fruit. Otherwise you end up with two smaller than normal pumpkin. Do wait until the pumpkins are bigger than golf ball size before you snip one off though - as you can't always be sure the fruit has been pollenated and will continue to grow until it is about cricket ball size. It would be a shame if you cut one off, and the other one then went brown and dropped off because it wasn't pollenated.

I've left two pumpkin 16-18 inches apart both grow and you do end up with small to average size fruit, but on a healthy vine they will both mature and ripen, so that's ok if that's what you want.

mark_g, Jan 22, 7:18am
And.

I've just noticed the title of your post, which implies you have masses of vine but no confirmed pumpkins.

1) When the vines first flower it is normal as you must have seen to have lots of male flowers and no female flowers. Just a matter of waiting.
2) when you have got female flowers, if your fruitlets go brown and drop off then probably lack of pollination is the issue. Two words: Hand pollination.

Very easy to do. No tools required. You Tube is full of videos on this subject, have a look.