When to pick pumpkins?

liamjosh, Mar 30, 2:55am
First time pumpkin grower, Mum gave me a pumpkin plant and it has completely overtaken garden it is planted in.There are three pumpkins growing well but the leaves are now starting to wither and getting a bit manky.How do you know when to pick the pumpkins, do you pick them when they get to a good size or is there something else that determines when to pick them!

arabelle, Mar 30, 3:53am
when the vine has fully died off and one frost [as long as not a killer] has been allowed to finish it off. then cut thetop of the "T" about 10cm either side and leave the pumpkins to finish off in the shade/shelter. and what they were sitting on can be aired etc. then stack so that no two pumpkins are touching one anothernewspaper is good to absorb any sweating.
I am getting enthused as what I thought was a bad crop this year I am starting to see some monsters in the withering vine patch. I shallcut some up come May and freeze them for use come oct/nov, and use the rest fresh until then, nothing worse wanting a nice pumpkin soup in Sept. and finding 1. the meeces have eaten them, 2. the slightly warmer nights have encouraged rotting. and its all gooey inside.I save the seeds from the ones thathave good storage habits, and shape. then already for another years cropping. good luck

pettal, Mar 30, 4:29am
usually after they have had a GOOD frost on them as that helps in the flavour .

tui93, Mar 30, 5:19am
Do you blanch them or freeze them raw!

seniorbones, Mar 30, 6:14am
We cut ours really early because we were leaving the property and they are yummy, left outside for a while to harden off a bit and have now eaten two. We also had a giant one grow and hubby refused to leave that too so its in the garage nobody believed it was real will be interesting when we cut it but we also wondered how big it would have got if left.

seniorbones, Mar 30, 6:15am
neither mine turned to mush when frozen, now I cook it and freeze, when thawed mix with mashed potato for toppings for casseroles, shepherds pies etc.

lythande1, Mar 30, 7:09pm
The vine will die off. Then you pick them and store in a cool dark place, they'll keep for ages.

tielfan, Mar 31, 5:46am
I had to cut our vine back as it was going bonkers.I left plenty of vine ahead of the pumpkins, which are monster crown pumpkins. The vine is still very healthy and trying to retake the parts of the garden I cut it back from.I really wanted the land for other veges but the pumpkin seems to be king in there.We don't eat that much pumpkin!

arabelle, Mar 31, 5:54am
Umm I am naughty and just freeze as is, threw out the blanching thing years ago.O.P I did say for making soups etc. and maybe in cakes. certainly not for roasts. so use your long keepers for that,I also use a lot of pumpkin for the cat/dog food that I do and they get the frozen stuff to mix up with the many other veges and meat

liamjosh, Mar 31, 7:47am
Thanks guys, apparantly I should cut back some of the leaves to allow sun in while waiting for vine to die off, tomorrow's job!

firefly001, Apr 1, 4:24am
Do they take a while to ripen! I have some pumpkins but the first taste was a bit bland

liamjosh, May 6, 1:13pm
Same here, it took over the whole garden and got three (although good sized) pumpkins but no room for anything else.Had a cut back yesterday and moved the runners with pumpkins on them to one side so have some of the garden back to plant in.Don't think I would bother with pumpkin next year, takes up too much space and pumpkin is reasonably cheap to buy through winter, can get huge ones for a couple of bucks at the market.