French lavender plants

treens2, Jul 20, 6:26pm
Some are looking very unwell,this is there first winter planted out in the garden,have had minus 5 frosts,thinking may be frosts affecting them, keen to hear your thoughts,should i pull them out or are they likely to come away again in the spring. Have found lavenders very hardy in the past,thanks

piquant, Jul 20, 10:47pm
Usually find that lavandula dentata is the toughest of all of the lavenders. Has it been subjected to wet soils and did it have last summer to establish or was it planted late in summer? I'd be reluctant to rip them out unless you can determine the problem - rather wait to see if they come away. Alternatively - take one of the sicklier ones out and have a look at the roots - that may give you an indication as to what may be the problem. Good luck.

gpg58, Jul 20, 11:35pm
wet feet?

Many of the problems besetting New Zealand's budding lavender growers can be directly related to the soil. Lavender hates wet feet and heavy acidic soil. Alkaline, rocky dry soils suit it best. If you have heavy soils then raising the beds and introducing copious amounts of lime will be really important.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=10850788

I found it grew well in sandy soil too.

treens2, Oct 17, 12:51pm
Thanks for info,where planted out September last year,have had an local expert in to have look today,is the frosts that have caused the problem,will see if they come away in the spring.thanks