Costs to construct a carport

jojo76, Mar 26, 4:20pm
We are looking at a single carport, we do live in a rural town 1 hour from a main centre, had a quote from versatile for them to construct just shy of 9k! maybe thats the norm - no idea. Have you had one constructed recently? what was the cost? Would it be cheaper buying kitset and getting local builder to construct? Any advice appreciated.

tegretol, Mar 28, 7:59pm
How big?
Access?
What roof material?
What pole/frame material?
How many side covered?
What colour?
Attached to existing building?
Ground structure?
Concrete floor?
Cladding on side/s?

In other words, unless you provide details, no-one is likely to profer a view.

If you want one with titanium poles, gold-flashed roof, stucco sides, 300mm concrete floor of the max allowable 20m2 then I'll do it anywhere in NZ for $83,750.

mtbotrev, Mar 28, 9:04pm
Years ago I did a kitset one. not overly expensive and easy enough. Concrete pad was probably hardest part.

blueviking, Mar 29, 8:34am
Friend is a builder in Hamilton. Lady wanted a simple carport. He priced materials and labour.Came to $1500. It had to have a complete scaffold built as it would be over 3m high and council fees added another $1500 to the job.

tegretol, Mar 29, 9:34am
Well that's BS to start coz councils don't need to be involved if it's under 20m2.

blueviking, Mar 29, 11:24am
or 3.5m in height. Most double carports are more than 20m2

jojo76, Mar 30, 12:44pm
To throw a spanner in the works i contacted total span and due to my area being a high wind area carport might not be an optition. Basicly it would sit infront of garage and beside house, so fairly sheltered from our gale force norwesters. We were just hoping to have feet/legs concreted in but might have to be a concrete pad. I dont understand. lol
What were hoping for to answer the 2nd posters question:
Flat roofed coloursteel, 4 legs (steel), easy access
3m height standard 'single' size.
Currently metal driveway but wanted to put lime chip down.

jojo76, Mar 30, 12:47pm
Oh and no sides covered. I think if you wany it enclosed id have to get a consent.

loud_37, Mar 30, 4:39pm
Single size 3m x 6m and less than 3m high won't require consent and you can build whatever you like.

jojo76, Mar 30, 4:41pm
Is that 3m and below or below 3m

loud_37, Mar 30, 4:41pm
You could do it from as little as $1000 and just keep going up from there.

loud_37, Mar 30, 4:43pm
Not 100% sure so just build it to 2980mm

loud_37, Mar 30, 4:47pm
and if you want a double but still don't want to deal with council, build two singles 5mm apart, as this is two seperate structures.

christin, Mar 31, 10:09am
Cheap basic ones but may do the job for a lot less. Keeps rain off car I guess!

https://www.tradetested.co.nz/sheds-carports/carports.html

tegretol, Mar 31, 1:09pm
Has this idea been tested yet - ie has anyone tangled with their council over doing just this?

By the way, as long as construction meets current code, you DO NOT even need to notify the council if it's <20m2 and has at least one side permanently open. Contrary to posts above, there is NO height restriction - can be as high as you like as long as it's at ground level. See page 59 in https://www.building.govt.nz/assets/Uploads/projects-and-consents/building-work-consent-not-required-guidance.pdf

ebygum1, Mar 31, 5:48pm
Rubbish. Only one side needs to be open.

loud_37, Mar 31, 6:09pm
tegretol wrote:
Has this idea been tested yet - ie has anyone tangled with their council over doing just this?

I will test this out in about 3 months.

tegretol, Mar 31, 10:24pm
Bollox. Read the regulations. Only need one side permanently open.

jojo76, Apr 1, 9:24am
I said i 'think' - i read the regulations ages ago but could'nt remember off the top of my head if it could have sides or not.

Regardless of this i dont want sides anyway.

socram, Apr 1, 9:58am
Get another quote! Daughter had a quote from them which she accepted for a single storey shell house, $105,000, July 2016. Consents all applied for and organised and approved and couldn't get any sense out of them at all, come November 2017 for a start date. Cost had escalated to $146,000.

khayyam, Apr 1, 3:06pm
yes we:had a tangle with our council (Kaipara)over exactly this. Hubby built 2 large single carports almost touching - roof iron between the 2 bout 20 mm apart - not quite sure of the measurements but you can park two cars in each one very close together though so for all intents we have a quadruple carport think each one is 4 metres wide by just under 5 metres long - but hubby has said he would do it the other way -4 metres long by 5 wide if he did it again - the roof is quite larger than the "footprint square area" of the poles - which is what the argument with council was all about - he was just saving the cost of building permit etc . reckoned it was better spent on materials. after a few arguments with a couple of inspectors that visited a few times they ended up agreeing that it didn't need consent.

khayyam, Nov 30, 2:17pm
Oh and it cost $800 for the iron (bought 2nd hand off trade me) and about $1000 for concrete (just foundations for poles is metal chip floor) timber nails hardware and electrical and $250 for roof paint Took him and 16 y.o son about
2 weekends to build.