Carport attached to eave with no posts near house.

daryl14, Mar 10, 5:38am
How much of a mission would it be to build a car port that hangs off you eave so the underside of the trusses is level with underside of eave!

I'm thinking double pitch/standard trusses and I guess steel brackets that go through your soffit and bolt into the house rafters/bearers. The house guttering would also take the car port run off on that side.

Will I need to approach a general engineer or draftsman to make such brackets! Could I span a double size (6 M or more) car port from this!

dmjbuild1, Mar 10, 6:15am
there will be a massive amount of uplift on a carport that size, my concern would be the connections of the rafter to the top plate and studs and their connection to the bottom plate and it's connection to the floor joist etc all the way to ground ( unless it's a concrete slab) but you would still need connections to stop uplift from slab. Also the amount of water collected from the new roof may overwhelm your existing downpipe whic may require you to install larger one's. But overall it can be done, just a few things to take into account

daryl14, Mar 10, 8:04am
Sounds promising. Would I be looking at a square U shaped bracket to join between the two rafters!

tahnasha, Mar 10, 11:59am
Do you mean like this!I have one of these.

http://www.dcpatios.com.au/images/carporslider.jpg

daryl14, Mar 11, 6:30am
Yeah well this is the start of the research process, innit!
A builder I've already talked to never said you could just attach to barge board but that I'd have to hook into the house rafters etc to be strong enough.

stevo2, Mar 11, 6:35am
Fail. Oh no you dont.
Sooner the backyarders can no longer do this work the better.
You remove the fascia and either strap alongside or bracket the rafters to the existing rafters.
You will need plans drawn by a draughtsman and he/she will advise whether you will need engineers calcs as well.

daryl14, Mar 11, 7:02am
Kewl, thanks Stevo.

trader_84, Mar 13, 6:59am
We make all of our own structural engineering brackets. 6mm plate or strap in most cases. If you need a few of them then it works out heaps cheaper to make yor own 'BRO-MACs' than to buy the proper BOWMACs. On top of the steel you will pay around $1.60 - $1.80 per kg to hot dip them.

cowlover, Mar 15, 7:51am
We gota quote to do exactly what Op wants a while ago from the local Formsteel agent.He lookd at our eaves (its a normal galve iron truss roof), and said yep we just hook it up on brackets under the eaves.

To me it sounded like it was nothing unusal for them whatsoever.It was about $500 more than the same size carport kit from Bunnings - thats also a Formsteel unit.

I haven't priced it out in wood etc but I'd say off the top of my head that it would be much more expensive for the complete job in wood than the Formsteel kit.

daryl14, Mar 15, 10:42am
Awesome. Thanks heaps.

crackerjack19, Apr 19, 4:47pm
As an ex builder I believe the reason 'your' builder told you of the need of the need to attach the way he said to the rafters etc; is because of the size you are thinking of putting up. If you were to run the carport roof as a continuation of the house roof pitch (if possible) then the logistics become easier. The simpler the construction is (as long as meets the building code) the better. If you want the carport to be 6m wide then you will almost certainly have to have a permit for construction unless very short.