Replacement cord for sash windows? Auckland

4pc, Jan 12, 8:39pm
I thought I'd just pop along a buy some from Bungalow & Villa, but they no longer have a store!

Where would you suggest I buy it from, and how can I ensure I have the right stuff?

farwest, Jan 12, 8:58pm

trade4us2, Jan 12, 10:14pm
It's not cotton, so maybe it will last a long time. It it UV protected?

geoff_m, Jan 13, 2:15pm
We used stainless steel wire rope from a ship chandlers. The cotton woven sash cord wears on the 110 year old pulleys over the years and got sick of replacing them. Did it 20 or more years ago and never looked back. Ours came from Fosters downtown and they sell the crimp fittings and tools too.

farwest, Jan 13, 2:24pm
You don't need to crimp the ends of the mitre 10 cord - just singe them with a cigarette lighter.

farwest, Jan 13, 2:25pm
Glass blocks UV.

trade4us2, Jan 17, 1:04am
https://www.thoughtco.com/does-glass-block-uv-light-608316
All glass is not created equal, so the amount of ultraviolet light penetrating the material depends on the type of glass. While most glass using in vehicles and buildings does filter out most of the ultraviolet that could cause a sunburn, some of the radiation still gets through. Glass offers no real protection against sun damage to skin or eyes.

farwest, Jan 11, 3:53pm
The cotton cords I've replaced on some windows lasted 70 or so years. and the failure is usually caused by fraying against the pulley.