Which Poo is best

denise41, Sep 13, 9:58pm
I have.some Rhodos and Camelias. plenty of Horse and Cow Poo. which one would be best for them.
Also have Roses. which one for them please.

lythande1, Sep 14, 8:01am
N Nitrogen % P Phosphorus % K Potassium
(Potash) %
Cow Manure 0.6 0.4 0.5
Horse Manure 0.7 0.3 0.6
Pig Manure 0.8 0.7 0.5
Chicken Manure 1.1 0.8 0.5
Sheep Manure 0.7 0.3 0.9
Rabbit Manure 2.4 1.4 0.6

Nitrogen (N) gets top billing because it’s responsible for keeping plants green. Nitrogen also feeds new shoots and plant growth.

Phosphorus (P) builds healthy roots and promotes fruiting and flowering, so you’ll often see fertilizers for bulbs and blooms that are high in this nutrient. In nature, plants usually pick up phosphorus through decaying organic matter.

Potassium (K), which is also called potash, is key in the formation of chlorophyll and other plant compounds.

To encourage flower bud production you can apply a fertilizer that contains a small percentage of nitrogen, a higher percentage of phosphorous, and a little potassium.

happychappy50, Sep 14, 8:41am
Cow is better,horse has too many undigested seeds.

tourer100, Sep 14, 3:57pm
Don’t forget all the other minerals, there are 92 not just 3.

dibble35, Sep 14, 4:16pm
Make sure you compost/age it first, dont apply fresh stuff.

lythande1, Sep 14, 5:14pm
Horse is ok if of a paddock, not out of barns which is where the seeds come from.

oh_hunnihunni, Sep 14, 9:06pm
Put the horse poo into a barrel and add rainwater, comfrey, and stir. Allow to mature.

Best garden tea money can't buy.

denise41, Sep 14, 9:42pm
Hi there Team. thanks sooo much for your help. mmmmm. now to sit doiwn and work it all out xx

tegretol, Sep 15, 10:48am
Be easier to just go buy a bag of this: https://www.ravensdown.co.nz/media/4073/nitrophoska-brochure.pdf. You plants will bloom!

jules286, Sep 15, 7:12pm
I'm originally from a farm, and my Father also had (long story short) horses. My Father cared for the land and his animals since the 50's with environmental and safety concerns. My Dad won't let us use horse poo, he has always told us that horses are given too many antibiotics, therefore the antibiotics get into the soil, and is a way for bacteria to become resistant to antibiotics.
Another long story short, my mother used other animal poo in her garden, she ended up with a scratch which lead to endocarditis. Therefore the only animal manure used by my parents are sheep pellets.
I use oat husks from brewery waste, and this is way better than poo. Works extremely well on roses and general garden plants, haven't use it on Camelias etc. I'm sold on using oat husks, amazing results.

brouser3, Sep 15, 9:07pm
The poo from animals on intensive and regular drenching regimes, contains residue which has a negative effect on the worms in the soil …………….

malcovy, Sep 16, 6:57am
Yes I have been put off buying fresh animal manure. I have had wireworm introduced that way and the results were terrible, all potatoes and lily bulbs destroyed. Another was tapeworm. I used dried sheep Dag's that have been heated and also sheep pellets. I collect comfrey and let that soak for ages as well as seaweed products. My garden is looking good.

wine-o-clock, Sep 16, 7:36am
I use coffee grounds

happychappy50, Sep 16, 7:38am
I used to use sheep pellets,no longer tho,as I noticed weed infestation had been more,knocked off using it & just use my own compost,blood & bone & a few trace elements.

Speaking of which,today I will empty one of my pits & top up my 3 vege boxes,the chooks will be hanging around for all the worms & other bugs . Sunday lunch!

retrogold, Sep 16, 7:53am
I use untreated sawdust and coffee grounds, seaweed or comfry tea and flowers of sulphur for trace elements. Sometimes sheep manure if cheap enough.

malcovy, Sep 16, 4:31pm
Also adding to my other comment, roksolid energised organic fertiliser is awesome. It was a poster on here a few years back (or last year) who mentioned it and this product is wow. I ordered it online.

jules286, Sep 16, 4:48pm
This is where NZ gets its phosphate from.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/. /new-zealand-doesnt-need-to-keep-buying- phosphate-from-western-sahara--
a

jules286, Sep 25, 2:17pm