I have a windmill palm tree that I would

traderken, Dec 10, 2:50am
Like to grow some seedlings from. It appears to have clusters of small black shiny berries/fruit on the tree at the moment are these the seeds and how would you plant them. Is there anything else I should know about them

spiritofgonzo, Dec 10, 4:01am
windmill palms are undesirable.People can't pay people to take them away.

traderken, Dec 10, 5:31am
Why are they undesirable. Is this just your opinion or is it government policy.

coast_palms, Dec 10, 5:48am
Chinese Windmill palms are highly desirable thanks Spiritof gonzo. Where do you get your info from!

coast_palms, Dec 10, 5:53am
If you had stated Phoenix palms were undesirable I would have agreed.
And if you are alluding to the bunch of native tree fascists at the Auckland regional council circa 2007/2008 who badmouth palm species through their ignorance and naivety, they have managed to do some decent damage to the Palmaceae family without even lifting a chainsaw.

spiritofgonzo, Dec 10, 6:28am
This is the problem with common names.I was referring to trachycarpus fortunei, and/or Washingtonia robusta.Both fan palms, sometimes referred to as windmill palms.Both these palms, at least in Tauranga, are overrepresented and thus no one wants them.Which palms are you referring to!

spiritofgonzo, Dec 10, 6:31am

spiritofgonzo, Dec 10, 6:31am

traderken, Dec 10, 7:34am
Who are weed busters! They sound like an off shoot of the universally hated dept of conservation

spiritofgonzo, Dec 10, 7:38am

traderken, Dec 10, 12:47pm
Yes I was right

coast_palms, Dec 11, 2:52pm
Spiritof gonzo, I respect your opinion, but nowhere in the Pest Plant Accord are both palms you mentioned described as banned species. I am refering to Trachycarpus, Washingtonia Robusta shouldn't be referred to as a Windmill palm. It's common name has always been Mexican fan palm.

I commercially grow Chinese Windmill palms and have never heard of them being referred to as pests, or for that matter, undesirable, by anyone. I do not grow Phoenix canariensis or Washingtonia robusta commercially anymore, because THEY are considered undesirable. More so, Phoenix canariensis than Washingtonia Robusta.