Old Rose plants. as in really old :)

anne1955, Oct 3, 7:28am
And they may even be as old as me :) I have just moved and there are 2 very old roses over taken but other things trees boring trees, personally can't understand it But this is how it is. I am now helping an older than me person with the garden at their batch/crib. And he wants things just ripped out and tossed and YES there are roses beside hidden taken over but trees NO I do like trees it just when it involves at some stage other over planting on roses I shake my head.
Ok I can see the up keep side, for where I am if I am lucky here till the 'wooden' box comes. And with luck might get to keep this little (large) gardening work even for the love of it.

So what do I do? At the house for me I have chain sawed out the trees around the roses, plenty of new growth and some from base but lots of waste branches still budding but long straggly things that have been looking for light, love and understanding like myself. And same story at the holiday house of these old guys. As yet I haven't removed trees around the roses. He wants to cut trees at ground level and put root killer in. Does it go into soil? And hence muck (said nicely) soil etc up?
I need help :) please that Anne

anne1955, Oct 4, 8:35am
Bump Please :)

busybee72, Oct 4, 9:02am
I had a look at your post the first time round but can't make out your question. In one sentence, what's the problem?

mrfxit, Oct 4, 9:26am
Anne wants to save the old Rose plants but still cut/remove & poison the surrounding tree/shrub stumps but is uncertain if the poisons applied to the stumps will effect the rose's root systems as well

mrfxit, Oct 4, 9:28am
Answer . >> probably not going to effect the roses because each plant/tree has it's own root systems.
There would be far more danger of spray drift on to the roses if you are not careful.
Drill a hole in to the stumps & apply the poisons in to that hole

busybee72, Oct 4, 6:54pm
Aaaahhhh, right. If the two root systems are intertwined, then there is a huge possibilty that the plant you want to keep will get damaged or killed. Yes, they are seperare, but all roots have microscopic root hairs. These hairs are so fine that if they touch another plants fine roots they will transmit the poison. This is also the same for the immediate surrounding soil. It is a principle of osmosis. Think about your lungs. The air you breathe and the blood you have in your body are two different systems, but the very fine parts of your lungs let the air through.

cantabman1, Oct 4, 7:10pm
God, this all sounds well above my pay grade.
Just dig out the rose and replant it somewhere else.

kateley, Oct 4, 7:28pm
I'm with cantabman - give the roses a hard prune, dig out and put in a pot or somewhere temporary while you deal to the trees and unwanted plants, then replant later.

busybee72, Oct 4, 7:45pm
Yeah, but i bet you learnt sumthin today.

summersunnz, Oct 5, 6:23am
+2 - and a good time to replant now too. As extra insurance, push some cuttings into the ground as well.

madzwhippet, Oct 5, 6:56am
Shifted 3 roses that were over 50 years old, then left the hose just trickling overnight twice a week on each one. all three came away and bloomed nicely for several years until we shifted . the secret with roses is water,water, and more water.

anne1955, Oct 5, 7:28am
I am sorry for those that don't understand my questions My ex hubby said one has to be able to put in mentally all the full stops etc.
I so thank everyone for there input. And even better because a friend has 2 more old plants awaiting me and staying wet :) Yes weed killer and likes I dislike, was thinking also about the tie it/them (not required trees) to tow bar and rip them out. But was concerned about pulling roses as well. Might just go back to that idea. Thanks so much people for the help.

gilligee, Oct 5, 8:56am
Definitely take cuttings as well as was suggested.

macandrosie, Oct 6, 10:17pm
Cut the roses back really hard like you would for a winter pruning. Dig them out, clear the rest of the site of trees & whatever & replant roses.

anne1955, Dec 31, 6:53pm
Update on old roses :) Just amazing covered in flowers and new growth coming from all over them. I am trying to get them shaped but guess it will come. As for having to dig out and shift wasn't really an option so intertwined with the tree / trees .

Have a couple of miniature's that the wind have blown sideways Dug one out and replanted and fingers crossed it will come right again but got really sad sacky after I did it. So have left one growing side ways along ground and will relook at it in future.
We have a couple of old homes just sold in neighbourhood and they both have stunning standard roses one orange and other off white. No not planning on uplifting them :) But thought I might try doing some cuttings. Wrong time of year? Being in deep south wondered if I might get away with it now?

dottyone1, Jan 1, 1:20am
you can but try. Nothing ventured nothing gained.thats Life

groovie1, Jun 23, 4:46pm
Another one for pruning back hard and relocating to get the roses out of harms way while you deal to the trees. I doubt any rose/plant in this situation will survive a chemical attack of the strength that is needed to kill its close neighbour. I wouldn't risk it.