Rebuilding a garage

tearaitrader, Jun 19, 9:18am
Hi . Im considering replacing my very delapiated garage , then changing it into a pool house / guest accommodation . Am i allowed to demolish and re build , or do i need to repair bit by bit to get it to a better state of repair . I think if i was to build now on the present site it would not meet the current boundary requirements. i think it would be a lot easier to demolish and rebuild.

busybee72, Jun 19, 9:49am
You need to talk to your local council on restrictions. Alarm bells ring when you are changing use of a building, changing the height or shape of an existing structure, demoing and rebuilding, building next to a boundary and possibly putting in plumbing. All these things trigger either a consent or building application and or neighbour approval.

Minefield - have your wallet open.

tearaitrader, Jun 19, 9:56am
So . Repair it slowly . then apply to change the use .? then add the shower and toilet.

johotech, Jun 19, 10:05am
Talk to the council. You could have existing use rights even if rebuilding and changing the use, regardless of it being too close to the boundary.

You will need a consent for the plumbing installation anyway, so best to do it properly. The boundary side wall may also need to be fire rated and there could be other conditions on building to the original site area.

The other option would be to get a designer to check the site and make recommendations. You will need one to do the plans and consent application for you anyway.

busybee72, Jun 19, 10:06am
When you say repair im guessing its DIY grade stuff. Once the consent process has started and you get it inspected, you may have to prove that a licensed builder has completed elements that are structural. Dont also forget that electrical needs a cert.

So your clear with your build path, i would sketch out your intentions and take it to council for advise. Remember that this work will make or break your property value so get it right.

tearaitrader, Jun 19, 10:37am
Thanks for reply's . My preferred option would be to demolish and rebuild on the same foot print . yes I will try to talk to the council.

survivalkiwi, Jun 19, 6:31pm
For that you will need a new consent. I rebuilt a fire damaged garage a couple of years ago that was only two years old and had to get new plans drawn (council would not accept the original plans) and an engineers certificate to use the existing floor slab.

tearaitrader, Jun 24, 9:36am
Haven't talked to council yet . But Architect says I am as of right able to repair it one wall at a time and effectively have a new garage , seems very long winded , but my be what i have to do .

tearaitrader, Jul 9, 11:32pm
up date . www.building.govt.nz page 31 . Looks like i can rebuild as of right .

skin1235, Nov 26, 4:51pm
that only helps rebuild it for designated use, ie garage
sure repair /virtually rebuild until in very tidy condition - then you have the question re change of use, plumbing consents, wiring codes, storm water disposal etc to sort
while I'm all for doing it without bureaucracy getting too many swipes at the credit card, the intended change of use later may mean the then tidy building may need further structural work, check that, it may be better to include such in the rebuild