Harrison Solar Power Sale

Page 2 / 2
kindajojo, Mar 2, 3:58am
b

Aahh your talking about me. invested in genesis and mightily river. also have had a solar system. for 20 years.
I agree with the poster that you seriously have e to look at the economics. they work great in summer but winter . depending on where you are not so great. also if mounting on the roof make sure you have the ideal inclination to the sun. otherwise efficiency drops, you also have to keep the panels clean so are you happy to climb on the roof. especially if you have pollen trees around.
You could always invest the $$$ in power company shares . and become a greedy shareholder. they money just rolls into your account so you can pay the power account . and the share prices will hopefully maintain value as opposed to the solar system which will probably depreciate . but then you have to deal with narrow minded I idiots like the one above who didn't have the sense to invest in shares.

kindajojo, Mar 2, 4:02am
. and the salesman told you this.

How long did he tell you the batteries last. and the environmental effect of disposing of them

t_naki, Mar 2, 6:19am
I agree, often people forget to factor in the opportunity cost of the money they are spending on the system. If you put that money in the bank you would get a return so your payback from a solar system needs to be in excess of that before you start counting pay back time. And if you borrow the money to do it the figures are even worse.

nzdoug, Mar 2, 8:42am
i'd rather have my own power as I'm the main Board of Director, backing up the wife with my power of veto over the dog/cat,

kindajojo, Mar 2, 9:55am
Lol, I bet no one tells you how to do the dishes.

devine-spark, Mar 2, 11:23am
I am going to start researching batteries with a view to storage for evening usage. I will remain grid tied. I believe there are batteries coming out of electric vehicles that will work well. As they are being reused the disposal is just delayed so one is not adding to any environmental problem, but still need to deal with safe disposal.

t_naki, Mar 2, 5:54pm
Try your local Chorus or Telecom contractor. They normally have exchange batteries that get replaced periodically that can be useful for this type of thing.

tigra, Mar 2, 8:41pm
Harrisons have had that offer on TV for at least
a year so its not a "special" deal. Same as the carpet sale they have been advertising for 2 years.

galex, Mar 2, 9:57pm
devine-spark wrote:
I don't feel stink.
We chose to do solar as an ethical thing.

What ethical thing? the vast majority of NZ power is from hydro schemes, you can't much more green that that.

devine-spark, Mar 2, 10:26pm
Hydro has its impact on the environment galex. It affects rivers and fish, it does literally have a flow on effect. My family were settlers down south and their original home is now under a hydro lake, so I have a particular interest. What is it to you if I want to do something such as harness solar power? I am happy to be able to have an alternative from of power. Thanks T_naki re that advice - I will give it a go. It would be good to be able to store power.

rojill, Mar 3, 9:01am
Seems to me a few of you need to bring your selves up to speed and live in the real world.
Visit http://www.solarserver.com register and get their monthly update of just what is happening in the solar world. NZ is literally going absolutely nowhere with this technology despite all the hype. We only have ourselves , as a nation, to blame.

kindajojo, Mar 3, 9:35am
We do live in the REAL world. I have had solar for20 plus years and still would weigh up the environmental impact and the economics of installing a system. so whose blaming who for what.

daggyboyz, Mar 4, 8:02am
You bought it last month and reckon you save 1/2 your power bill each year ! (re-read it) Do you work for Harrisons?

drsr, Mar 4, 9:21am
Measured degradation is less than 1% a year, with slightly higher losses in the first few years. The majority of manufacturers offer the 25-year standard solar panel warranty, which means that power output should not be less than 80% of rated power after 25 years.
http://energyinformative.org/lifespan-solar-panels/ , based on http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy12osti/51664.pdf

devine-spark, Mar 4, 9:35am
You are obviously not working as an editor daggyboyz. Although I have put in a 5.2kw system I did that 2 years ago. It was last month that we had a $25 power bill. Your problem?
Yes, we are saving about half of our power bill, and have had 2 years to work that out.
No, I don't work for Harrisons, nor do I know who they are, I bought my system through my son who works for a firm that import good PV panels. He is an engineer who found us a good inverter.
Clear?
We love our system, sorry if that seems like marketing to you, it is not. We just simply love our system.

avoking, Mar 28, 10:01pm
harrisons didn't even bother getting back to me about the 5kw system or price!
Looking into the Monier Solartile now.
Solar roof tiles - anyone installed them?
Cost?
What if one tile goes down, does it take the rest down?
What if one breaks - easy to remove and replace?

harrislucinda, Mar 28, 10:50pm
we are getting world solar out next week cheaper than Harrison's deal

harrislucinda, Feb 17, 10:58am
just found out that this deal wont even do a flat We finally signed up for 15 panels as works on the amount of power you use as want to cover our usage