Kale plants - Help

shaz561, Jan 18, 11:21pm
You can also boil up cabbage leaves and spray the water on. For some reason they hate it. Usually I go thru and just Pluck the blighters off. This season I had to use deris dust as it was just a bigger problem than I could handle. I dusted once and since then I've had no problems. I continue to use my Neem soap in water with a copper nail and hydrogen peroxide 3% I make up myself for copper oxy and spray that weekly

angie117, Jan 8, 8:39pm
I am new at gardening, and I am having a go at growing kale. Something is eating the leaves, its not snails. I dont want to use sprays, is there anything natural I can use?

bluefrog2, Jan 8, 10:50pm
How do you know it's not snails?
In Sydney, the cockatoos and lorakeets eat my mum's brassicas unless she nets the crop. But I haven't have the same problem with the local NZ birds.

kateley, Jan 8, 11:09pm
sparrows eat my silverbeet - I let them because I like sparrows more than I like silverbeet

lilyfield, Jan 8, 11:12pm
caterpillars love kale. so much that i now cannot be bothered with growing it any more. dishwash and garlic as deterrent.works a bit.

bluefrog2, Jan 9, 12:31am
If it's caterpillars, then dilute neem soap, or neem oil with some dishwash detergent helps. You have to be very careful not to burn the plant if using neem oil.
I plant brassicas in Autumn for this reason. Let it grow through winter, and get a crop in spring.

velenski, Mar 28, 3:12pm
eww cow food.