Shifting a daphne bush

kaylin, Jun 20, 9:30pm
I have large daphne bush growing on my bank. It has out buds out, been growing there for over 10 years after I transplanted it from beside the house.

We are now going to build a garage where the daphne bush is. Please help - Google says transplanting is impossible, but I don't want to lose my plant. What are my options please and how do I go about it. Just buy a new o e and chop down the old? Take cuttings? (How do I do this because I have tried I the past and they didn't strike). How could I shift it and when - still undergoing resource consent then will need builders consent, then find a builder so nothing is happening on the site for 3 months yet.

tobie2, Jun 20, 9:44pm
No they don't like being shifted, you will lose it, especially one that age.

maclad, Jun 20, 10:48pm
Agree and hard to strike from cuttings but you could try layering a few branches

woody89, Jun 20, 11:43pm
I don't think they layer & you don't have enough time to try. Sounds like you are going to lose it regardless so why not try hard to move it? Select a site now that has similar sun, soil, moisture etc. Dig a decent hole & when the bush is dug up try to take as much soil as possible without disturbing the root mass. I didn't know they didn't like being shifted so have done it before :)

maclad, Jun 21, 12:20am
You could try as suggested above, nothing to loose really, but I do not believe it will survive. Or you could just leave it where it is and enjoy the flowers while you have it.

kateley, Jun 21, 12:49am
Like the last two posts, I would have a go at shifting it. But wait till it's finished flowering (as you have a few months before it needs to be gone) Then give it a really thorough haircut to compensate for the loss of roots. Dig a big hole and use as much of the soil from the original site as you can to replant it.
Good Luck

kaylin, Dec 11, 12:50pm
Thanks. It's on a rocky clay bank so will be hard to dig out. Might have to wait for the actual digger. And perhaps buy a new one too, just in case.