Wasps are infesting my bush!

weffa, Apr 26, 12:10am
I've noticed in the last two weeks a large number of wasps swarming over the small flowers on a shrub outside my front entrance, i haven't been able to get close enough to check for a nest but there's all different kinds of insects flying around out there.

Is fly spray sufficient to kill these pests or do I need something with more grunt?

isiqualo, Apr 26, 12:21am
a quick kill fly spray will do the trick. be sure to use a large can in case its a large number
MOST IMPORTANT! ONLY SPRAY AFTER SUNSET when the insects settle down for the night they become slow in response so would delay their attack on you which enables you to kill the lot. Soak the nest with the flyspray after your initial kill.
BE CAREFUL!

racheal77, Apr 26, 12:46am
yep dusk when there back in the nest spray the shit out if, works a treat

wasgonna, Apr 26, 1:12am
I understand that you're having trouble with lots of wasps on your shrub. Using fly spray might help a bit, but it might not be enough. Here's what you can do:

Find the Home: Try to find where the wasps are coming from. That's where their home (nest) might be. Just be careful not to get too close to the nest.

Stronger Treatment: You might need a special bug spray that's made for wasps. This will work better than regular fly spray.

Nighttime is Safer: Wasps are less active at night, so that's a better time to deal with their nest. Wear protective clothes and use the special bug spray on the nest entrance. Read the spray's instructions before using it.

Ask Experts: If the nest is in a tricky spot or you're scared, it's smart to ask pest control experts for help. They know how to handle this safely.

Stop Them from Coming Back: Once the wasps are gone, you can stop them from coming back. Seal any holes in your home and keep your trash bins closed tightly.

Remember, wasps are useful for nature, but if they're a danger to you, it's important to deal with them the right way.

rainrain1, Apr 26, 1:49am
There's a few lol threads on TM today

lythande1, Apr 26, 2:54am
Actually the reason for doing it at night is to ensure you get them all and none are still out.
If any are still out, they just rebuild and start over.
Nothing to do with attacking or slowness.

smallwoods, Apr 26, 3:12am
That's what I said to the wife, lol.

smallwoods, Apr 26, 3:14am
Pour some petrol down the entrance and plug it.
Come back in the morning an drop a match down to make sure.(no don't)

impressions, Apr 26, 3:48am
I think so too, mind bogles

golfaholic2, Apr 26, 4:37am
I was going to comment , but might be banned lol

maclad, Apr 26, 6:01am
All these answers depend on if they are paper wasps or german or common wasps. They all need different treatment so ID your foe first. Paper wasps are out at this time of year in large numbers grazing along fencelines etc getting ready to overwinter. They need to be sorted but are not highly dangerous as are german wasps. Non the less I would not like to be mass attacked by them. I walked into a german wasp nest a few years ago and suffered badly. Paper wasps are not quite so nasty.

frank398, Apr 26, 8:45am
Carbaryl will kill the whole nest.You can buy it at garden shops and mitre 10.You just need to put a sprinkling in a saucer,put some jam in the middle.There only needs one wasp to get it on its legs,to go back to kill the nest.I sell heaps of carbaryl to forestry workers,who work near nests all the time.You don't need to go near the nest.Just leave saucer around the shrubs the wasps are flying.Maybe even more than one saucer would be good.Carbaryl is around $27.00 so not cheap,but very affective,and safe to use.

tweake, Apr 26, 9:10am
the big problem with that is you can attract bees and kill off hives. local beekeeper will not be happy. also don't forget about bumble bees etc.

meat/fish is better as you won't attract bees.

if you kill off all the other species (honey bee, bumble, paper wasps etc) then it leaves plenty of food for the wasps to build back up.
if you have willows around, spraying them to kill off the willow aphid will reduce the amount of wasps you will have around.

pauline999, Apr 27, 6:04am
Carbaryl has been taken off the shelves.

tweake, Apr 27, 6:36am
i think kiwicare still sell it as insect killer.

tui93, Apr 27, 6:36am
Carbaryl on pet-roll, make sure your pet doesn't get it. Only the wasps will want the meat.(as tweake has said).

crackerjack19, Apr 27, 10:27pm
When we lived out of town (real country) I used to 'trail' the wasps at close of the day as they make a direct run home (Bee line) before dark, to the nest. When fully dark I very quietly approached the nest and with carbaryl in tea-spoon tied to a long stick empty spoon into nest mouth or inside a little way.
I never had a failure, and a real good feeling about getting rid of these awful pests.

golfdiver, Apr 28, 5:07am
Wax it!

sally63, Apr 28, 6:37am
I can always tell the men,lol!

skin1235, Apr 28, 9:12pm
was there a post later removed where the original poster confirmed there was a nest in the bush somewhere or is this just generic advice you all throw out whenever a wasp is seen flying by

peacebird15, Apr 29, 10:25am
The spray can wasp nest killers work great, we come across wasp nests all to often on the job, We often hit the nest as soon as we locate it (and give it a few more shots later) and have killed enough with the spray that we can work near it by lunchtime. got 2 decent nests last week.

sr2, Apr 29, 11:58am
+1; unless it's an infestation of the dreaded Brazilian Commando wasps!

wheelz, Jan 21, 1:48pm
I'm with you skin. OP has NOT said there is a nest. folks need to read better!
I doubt there is one. It's just that wasps and other insects have been seen on a shrub.
I would be thinking the shrub has scale or mealy bug and the wasp are after the honey dew.