How to remove flax bush?

cnf, Sep 1, 10:18pm
x2
We have 2 large flax bushes on our drive way. Any suggestions as to how we can remove or kill them?

brooksy1, Sep 1, 10:27pm
Use secateurs and cut them back as much as you can, then spray with network or woody weed killer. Once the "stumps" have died back you can either dig it out (b!tch of a job) or toss on some petrol or the like and burn it out.

bugin, Sep 1, 10:48pm
x2
Axe and strong spade .Slash and dig is the best. The parts will separate with some "persuasion " and can be pulled out a little at a time.Not such a big job as stated above .

lyingnun, Sep 1, 10:59pm
x2
I removed a number of large flaxes by cutting them back and then digging them out - a slow process but not too hard.

macandrosie, Sep 2, 12:24am
x1
Oh boy, let me tell you, removing a flax bush is no easy feat! But fear not, my friend, for I have some tips and tricks up my sleeve that will help you get the job done.

First things first, let's talk about why you might want to remove a flax bush. Maybe it's overgrown and taking up too much space in your garden, or maybe it's just not your cup of tea when it comes to plant aesthetics. Whatever the reason, removing a flax bush is definitely possible, but it will take some effort.

One method that you could try is digging it up. Flax bushes have long roots that can extend pretty deep into the soil, so you'll want to dig around the base of the plant to get as much of the root system as possible. Make sure you have a sturdy shovel or spade, and start by digging a trench around the plant. Then, work your way towards the center, loosening the soil as you go. Once you've dug around the entire plant, you should be able to lift it out of the ground. Just be careful not to damage any nearby plants or trees in the process!

Another method you could try is cutting it down and treating the stump with herbicide. This method might be a bit easier than digging up the whole plant, but it does take longer. Start by cutting the flax bush down to the ground, and then apply a herbicide to the stump. The herbicide will slowly kill the root system over time, and eventually, the entire plant will die off.

If you're feeling particularly adventurous, you could also try burning the plant. This method is definitely not for the faint of heart, and you'll want to make sure you're following all safety precautions before attempting it. Start by cutting the flax bush down to the ground, and then pile all the debris into a safe, open area. Light it on fire and let it burn down completely. Just make sure you're not breaking any local laws or regulations before attempting this method!

No matter which method you choose, removing a flax bush will definitely take some work. But with a bit of elbow grease and determination, you'll be able to get the job done and reclaim your garden space. Good luck!

cnf, Sep 2, 12:42am
Yes. sometimes I think this is my only hope.

annies3, Sep 2, 1:05am
It depends on the type and size of your flax bushes as to how difficult it is to remove them, large old man flax which is very old is an awful job to remove, younger smaller one not as difficult, axe into the roots after cutting back the tops is ok they divide up quite well so do a bit at a time.
Someone may want to plant an area for shelter you never know!

mrfxit, Sep 2, 1:22am
x3
Last few I have done was by tying the tops in to a tight bunch then digging a narrow trench all the way around & slightly under the bush then simply towing out with a suitable size car/ towbar.& big rope or chain.
chain or rope on a "slip loop" so it pulls tighter as you pull

valleystream, Sep 2, 1:40am
x1
Just take a photo and put it on your local buy and sell facebook page. And state free for removal, must pick up within a week. someone might grab them and do the job for you.

rednicnz, Sep 2, 1:43am
x3
Our local Forest & Bird came and dug ours out for a planting project they were doing. Doesn't hurt to ask.

zak410, Sep 2, 3:16am
x1
For large flax bushes, the easiest I find (by hand) is to squeeze in the centre of the plant and start removing clumps from there and work your way out.

samsnan, Sep 2, 4:11am
We had about 10 of them very big to get rid of when we came here. Took photos and listed them on here the same way as valleystream did. They were gone within a week. Easy.

dottyone1, Sep 15, 4:38am
x3
I was70 plus at time and a small lady too. Any way I slashed the fronds with a carving knife a very sharp good one. If you cut them on an angle it is easy , then you will see the small clumps and can fork them out. Took a couple of mornings work but never regrew.

samanya, Sep 15, 6:39am
x4
Well done . works for me too.
I'm not as senior as you, by a fair bit . but I can't help thinking ,hey, they don't make them like they used to,!

nauru, Sep 30, 9:05am
We cut ours back as far as we could and then divided the root with the spade, this made it easier to remove by digging out the root in sections.