DIY tool question

anne1955, Dec 6, 6:18pm
Hi that new power tool being advertised on TV at the Warehouse and Mitre10 that is meant to be able to do anything and everything!Does anyone have one!And if so how good are they and what did it cost please!I need something to do some cutting through harder plastic normal/other people would use a hack saw but I have no strength in wrist after spinal surgery some years ago,So weak it's a right pain when I live alone and need to do tasks for myself.And wondered if one of these new things being advertised might be the thing for me!Or any ideas on what would be a good alrounder for cutting things never do any major heavy type things just like bits of plastic pipe and now want to cut the cell base for permeable pavement.Ideas great please.

lythande1, Dec 6, 6:20pm
I would go search the net and read user comments first, best way to find out.
Like that renovator thing - and the clones, Bosch included.

It's OK in some ways, not in others.

You can't go by what an ad shows you.

franken1, Dec 6, 6:27pm
The multi tool is very useful. I wouldn't necessarily go for the renovator though. I'd choose a brand for which accessories were readily available. Most other brands have interchangeable accessories. If you have a lot of cuts to make, it'll take a long time and I'd look at other cutting options e.g. circ saw.

kp11, Dec 6, 6:45pm
I brought a cheap 2nd hand Jigsaw ages ago of TM.Brilliant for jobs i'd normally use a hacksaw for plus more.I love it.

anne1955, Dec 6, 6:48pm
Thanks was think about a jigsaw And thanks everyone else for your input.

kp11, Dec 6, 6:59pm
Youll find it really easy & loads of fun.I can finally cut odd shapes & circles in plastic / wood etc.Its not heavy or hard to use.

doctor_evil99, Dec 6, 10:18pm
"the renovator" you can go and get a Bosch multi function tool for 50% less.I THINK Bosch was the patent holder that had lapsed.

majoba, Dec 7, 3:14am
The Bosch multi-tool is certainly very good but mostly for those jobs that other tools won't do e.g. cutting through a weatherboard when you just want to replace that one because of rot for instance. I bought it primarily because I was putting down laminate flooring and the multi tool is out on its own for undercutting architraves I think, but it was not cheap, $180.00 from memory. But for cutting plastic for instanceI would agree a jig-saw would be better.

stevo2, Dec 7, 5:03am
The patent holder was Fein. I have a couple of Bosch multitools. They have there uses especially for cutting small stuff.

gabbysnana, Dec 7, 5:09am
dont get a renovator, get another make. Mines an Ozo (or similar) and they all take bosch bits. I have used mine cutting everything. I love it. The only thing is that they are real noisy and they will set wood on fire. The best DIY tool I have ever had. Mine cost $59.

geoff_m, Dec 7, 6:27am
The Shed mag did a test a coupel of months ago - you can get back issues from their website or maybe the library wil have it. Worth a read.
There wasa noticable difference in cutting speed between the cheap ones an dthe good ones, and blade quality is also important.
Geoff

gj, Dec 7, 7:29am
If you are using an oscillating cutter (like the Renovator or Bosch multi-tool), be aware they will only cut if the object you are cutting is held fast and is rigid. If it can move or flex at all it will not cut, which is why these wont cut you if you touch the saw blade. They are great for small light cuts (undercutting architraves, plunge cuts into thin panels, cutting nails off flush or pipes) but it depends on what you need a tool for. If you want a powered saw to use like a conventional handsaw - get a Bosch Allpurpose saw. I have a B&D equivalent which is fantastic but no longer made. Or if you want to go heavier, even to use for cutting branches etc, get a sabre saw.
Bosch have a good selection on their website, http://tinyurl.com/bhdaau2 and other brands have similar ranges.

bluecat1529, Dec 7, 9:16am
Be very careful of the stuff you see marketed on TV. Do you really want to buy powertools from a company that also markets AAH Bras and cosmetics!

trade4us2, Dec 7, 11:29am
Oscillating cutters are very noisy so you'll need to wear ear muffs.
I use mine for all kinds of jobs that were almost impossible otherwise.
Quite good for cutting plastic pipes, although they don't cut very straight. But you can trim it straight again.

anne1955, Dec 7, 5:24pm
Thanks again people for the answers, I am laughing at the 'would you buy power tools from a company that makes bras'But a nice early morning smile on my dail.I am wanting/needing to cut that 'permabale pavement' stuff like a honey comb and they saw a hacksaw will do it but as I have said my wrists and hands are usless so probably go with a jigsaw. as I might get more use out of.they joys of being 'single older female' haha ever do it yourself or it doesn't get done.Thaks again people.

hammer23, Dec 7, 11:09pm
Buy a bosh from a big shed building supplier. If any thing goes wrong then you have a face you can shout at and bosh don't argue if you take it back under warrenty. Beware replacement blades cost an arm and a leg,also check how many sproggets hold the blade in place-- ozito have 4 and are useless,others have enough to match holes in the blades. We buy blades from a supplier on trade me,good quality and good price.

lythande1, Dec 8, 2:39am
Husband used a renovator type tool. He said it was good but took forever to cut through.
he wouldn't bother.

tmenz, Dec 8, 4:34am
I have also seen an AEG version - it looked absolutely bulletproof but was over $300!

rumchippy, Dec 8, 6:48pm
Bosch GSR 36v - LI Professional Drill
Wanted dead or alive for partsIf you have one and you would like to dispose of it please E-mail me at Rumchippy @ Gmail.com

shane191, Dec 9, 8:35am
is the OP meaning the renovator or the dual saw! The dual saw might be the best tool for the job!

nauru, Dec 12, 9:05am
Hubby has a Rockwell one and he is pleased with it's performance.Also you can get a free adapter from Mitre10 which enables you to use the renovator spares

illusion_, Dec 13, 8:12am
Dremel cordless . Brilliant . but not cheap

blueviking, Dec 15, 2:03pm
Just buy your basic one. The Warehouse sells all the blades individually along with the universal adapter.It would be perfect for what you want to cut.